Fermentation done???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christopherrburns

Reaction score
Got a milk stout been fermenting about 3 weeks. Og was 1.055 just checked and it's at 1.020. Is this all done. Only 4-5 abv? I know my og was lower then I wanted. Just wondering if I should call it a day and keg this mother. Thoughts???

Have you got a recipe along with yeast and mash temps? Some of the guys and gals will take a guess at if it is finished.

1.055 is a decent "size" beer. What do you have as a fermentor. It's pretty easy to give a carboy a few shakes. Sometimes that will aerate the wort a little and reactivate your yeast. Don't introduce more air from outside the system though.

Also, check out the threads appearing at the bottom of the page. They may help you out. You titled your post well.

Plastic Carboy. Thought 1.055 was low given the milk sugar in the brew. Just had beersmith crash and lost everything so can't really remember what the specifics were on the yeast. I want to say Denny's favorite was used

For a 1/055OG,1.020 is still a little high. I've routinely gotten 1.050's down to 1.010 before. Swirling up some yeast,not shaking,& warm it up a couple degrees should get it going again by the next day.

Got a milk stout been fermenting about 3 weeks. Og was 1.055 just checked and it's at 1.020. Is this all done. Only 4-5 abv? I know my og was lower then I wanted. Just wondering if I should call it a day and keg this mother. Thoughts???

It is possible that it is done. It is a milk stout and those often finish pretty high depending on how much lactose was in the recipe.

Check the gravity a few days apart and if it is the same, it is done.

Can you calculate how much gravity is due to your lactose? Subtract that from the OG and current SG, and that will give you a better idea of what your actual attenuation (of fermentables) was. At 1.020, that's high enough that it might not be done yet, but if 0.005 of those points are due to the lactose, that's more typical (i.e., without the lactose it'd have been 1.050 -> 1.015).

Back