Moving Sanfran Lager yeast to cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-stone

Reaction score
I am being kicked out of my garage for brewing, I am now in a shop. I have a refrigerator that cannot go above 47 F. My question is, If I started a pilsner with a Whitelabs Sanfrancisco Lager yeast, and I move it to 47 F, will it still ferment??? If it takes longer, that's OK, the next batch will be a true lager yeast, but will this one be OK?????:eek:

Lager yeasts like cold temps and 47 is not typically out of line for them, however this lager yeast has been used to ferment at ale temperatures (for years and presumeably numerous generations), I dont know how it will act, try it. Why can't you keep it at the previous temperature?

I had the temporary use of some space, I now have a fridge and have been kicked out of that space. ( I am in a wheelchair and forced to live with parents, this is actually why I'm brewing beer, I can't afford the beers of my choice anylonger, so I will brew it myself:mug:)

how long was it fermenting at the warmer temps?

47° could cause the yeast to drop out of suspension and stop fermenting since it's about 10° lower than that strains temp range

if fermentation is done or nearly done you can let is sit at room temp for a few days to clean up and then put it in the fridge at 47°

Back