cleaning/sanitizing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
I heard some horror stories from some people with sanitizing issues, and now I am paranoid I didn't sanitize my bottles well enough on my first batch. I just bottled last week, and here is what I did:

Had old bottles, mostly summit and new belgium. Soaked them in oxyclean solution for about a week to get labels off. They were empty when they went into the solution, and I shook a bunch of oxy clean through the bottles the day they went in and after a week when i removed labels and rinsed them out. I didn't use a brush, just shook a lot with solution in the bottle.

Then I air dried the bottles on a rack, and sanitized them with starsan solution right before filling.

I would think that would be ok, but I am being paranoid. Should I be?

also wondering what people do to clean/sanitize their racking cane and tube. I rinsed with hot water and oxy clean right after using, and then re-rinsed with hot water, oxy clean, and star san before using the second time. Anything better than just running cleaner/solution through the tube?

For your bottles, you're good. That's exactly what I do and have never had a problem. One thing I would say is that you don't need to soak in oxyclean for a week. I usually soak for about an hour and by then all but the Brooklyn Brewing Co labels have just fallen right off without me doing anything.

For your racking cane and tube, do what you're doing, but also make sure you also get it about halfway up the outside of racking cane because part of it has to immersed in the wort/beer for it work. Same principle applies for the tube. I'm sure you'll be fine. RDWHAHB and if you don't have any homebrew, RDWHAB.

One thing I would say is that you don't need to soak in oxyclean for a week. I usually soak for about an hour and by then all but the Brooklyn Brewing Co labels have just fallen right off without me doing anything.

most of the labels come off after an hour or so, but a lot of them are from Summit Brewing, and those are stuck on there really good. They need to soak for a day or so, but by then i usually forget for about a week until I have time again.

Latest posts

Back