Spent Grain...Deer Bait??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll work. Edwort has several pictures of deer eating grain posted on HBT.

Around here the deer are apparently from the snotty section of the forest and will not touch it. I've seen old grain piles over my back fence growing mold.

I've been dumping my grains in the frozen remains of my garden this winter and have been watching the deer go after it when it warms enough for the grain to thaw.

Yeah the deer and other critters in my neighborhood love when I brew. All of the grain from the previous batch is gone when I discard the next batch. Sometimes I feel like they are watching from the woods just waiting for me to be done =)

The mule deer in my backyard won't touch it. Maybe only whitetails like it or something. I live in the mountains outside Salt Lake City and we have plenty of animals that could eat the spent grain if they wanted to. Nothing touches it and it's accumulating into a big pile (frozen pile now). Something ate my lab retriever though...

The mule deer in my backyard won't touch it. Maybe only whitetails like it or something. I live in the mountains outside Salt Lake City and we have plenty of animals that could eat the spent grain if they wanted to. Nothing touches it and it's accumulating into a big pile (frozen pile now).

+1

I dump spent grains behind a stump in the backyard on the edge of the woods. Nothing seems to eat it. Granted it's next to my fire pit but still.... I see deer in the yard from time to time. I wish it worked, I'm an avid hunter and most of the meat I eat is venison.

For the record, hunting deer over bait is ridiculously hit or miss.

I tried to feed it to crazy Irish ex girlfriend's Llama's (you remember her)...they didn't like it. But it might have gone all lacto and then I froze it till I took it over there, so that might have been why.

Ed Wort in 3....2....1.....

Ok, here it is.

MoreSpentGrains.jpg

I guess it can't hurt to give it a try. I'll keep the grains from tomorrows brew and drop them off at my sisters house. My BIL will let me know what happens.

This is a compost pile not a bait pile, any deer which are eating from it will be shot.

Cheers

Obviously deer like the grain in some areas of the country.

One thing I've personally observed with grains is that when brewing AG, there isn't much flavor left in the grain at all. When I was steeping they still had quite a bit of residual sugar.

Back