Bottling in 1-gallon jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-mac

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing (3 brews) and would like to bottle part of my next batch into 1 gallon jugs with screw caps. How much should I fill the jug in order to achieve proper carbonation if I use the batch priming method. I currently use an auto filler to fill 12 ounce bottles. Will this work with the 1 gallon or 1/2 gallon jugs?

I'm concerned about bottling in glass jugs. First, I don't think many of them are designed to hold carbonated beverages, so putting them under pressure may cause glass jug bombs. Secondly, even if they hold pressure, the screw on caps will more than likely not seal airtight. I would not recommend this at all- it sounds dangerous and unlikely to work. You can find some 1 liter flip top beer bottles, or even plastic soda bottles, that may work. A 2-liter soda bottle would hold pressure, at least, without causing glass grenades.

I would wonder if the jugs can stand up to the pressure and/or if they will hold a seal. For example, growlers work for storage but shouldn't be used for carbonating (as far as I've read a few times in this forum).

If you're interested in bottling larger quantities that 12 oz, 22-oz bombers are nice, and EdWort turned me onto using 32-oz Tecate bottles. Just make sure they're crown-tops.

Other options are the party-pig, and Tap-a-Draft system. Plus there's a link in the DIY section for a homemade setup using 2-L or 3-L soda bottles.

Another vote for not using growlers. They are great for short term storage, but beyond that the screw caps just won't hold the carbonation.

Even if the jugs hold pressure (not likely) and don't explode (likely), as soon as you open one, the contents starts going flat. At least with 2L soda bottles, you'll only have one flat pint instead of five.

I know this is an old thread, but I had the same question as the OP too. The best alternative is to bottle in 2 Litre pop or cider bottles. I like to use coke/pepsi and cider bottles as they seem more durable.

I've been reusing the same ones for more than 10 batches and they hold carbonation fine, no issues at all. You can also buy a fizz keeper, the black rubber ball that you pump to repressurize after drinking half the bottle, though I usually dont bother as the carbonation keeps for a couple of days easily even when there's only a pint left in the bottle.

So some friends of a co-worker were running a brewpub (not sure if they still are) and he used to bring their beer in growlers to our staff events. These bottles had flip tops though, not the screw caps that everyone seems to be talking about here? Anyone know if that was just an aesthetic thing or would those have been different in that they were made to bottle-carb?

The responses I got on my very similar thread seem to indicate that growlers are generally used for storage, not conditioning. I know there's a brew pub here in Bloomington where you can buy a growler for like $10 and get really cheap refills, but they fill it from tap.

I've bottled in growlers. Works fine. Put a little keg lube around the lip of the bottle. Works PERFECTLY fine!

Thanks SUNKING!

I have used growlers as well. No bombs or undercarbed beers. However, I don't put much head space in them and generally carb to 1.8-2.0 volumes of CO2. They are great for parties, but I am moving away from using them. Too much risk!

Hey, DMac...
Did you ever try the gallon jugs??
I am curious because I have several gallon jugs I am wanting to bottle in & they have metal screw on caps...they were apple juice bottles.
Can't seem to find 'the answer' anywhere...
Thanks from a newbie :mug:

This thread is ancient, and pretty much everyone is saying not to do it.

Yeah this would be a terrible idea. A gallon jug could cause a crazy dangerous explosion.

Latest posts

Back