Ancient Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraconianHand

nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody have any really old hops that they don't have a use for. I am talking years old, where the AA is so degraded you won't be getting any bitterness out of them? If they smell cheesey they aren't any good to me.

I am looking to make a gueuze and need some old a$$ hops. I checked some of the online hops stores, but they are out and don't know when they will be getting any in.

I may have less than an ounce of Spalt that would be nearing a year old. I forgot about them, and then when i saw them, I figured they probably wouldn't be any good for me anymore. However, if I saw them and figured I wouldn't use them, I probably threw them away. I will check when I get home tonight. If I still have them, and you want them, they are all yours.

I have a bunch from a 2000 crop. No cheese smell here. They all still have a great hop aroma to them. I've actually been using them a bit with no issues at all. Are you looking for a particular variety?

I guess anything would work, but I would prefer Continental hops. I need about 3 oz. for a 5 gallon batch (need to collect at least 2 batches worth), but I'll take anything I can get. Let me know what you want for them and how much shipping is.

Thanks guys.

I should have the following:
Saaz
Tetnanger
Chinook
Cascade
But I'll confirm that when I get home tonight. As I said I've been using them so I'm not sure what weights I have left on them. You'll hear from me tonight.

Kilted Brewer said:
But I'll confirm that when I get home tonight. As I said I've been using them so I'm not sure what weights I have left on them. You'll hear from me tonight.

I don't want to dip into anyones stash if they are using the hops. I was looking for hops that people weren't going to use because they are decrepit. I can get hops (fresh), just not old ones. No one keeps old hops.

I'll still take you up on your offer, but don't offer me anything you can use. :D

I'm also looking for houblons surrannés for lambic brewing, but I'd given up on finding them authentic. I followed the wiki's advice and popped a few ounces of my brewtores oldest hops in my oven at 150˚ for a couple of hours, now I'm keeping them in a pan on my radiator. They still smell hoppy, unfortunately, although I can now chew them without noticeable bitterness.

DraconianHand said:
I don't want to dip into anyones stash if they are using the hops. I was looking for hops that people weren't going to use because they are decrepit. I can get hops (fresh), just not old ones. No one keeps old hops.

I'll still take you up on your offer, but don't offer me anything you can use. :D

I'm using them cause I'm cheap and SWMBO gives my 'tude when I come home with new hops..."But you are taking up half the freezer with hops, why do you need new ones". It's all good.
:mug:

OK, for sure I have Saaz and Chinook. There is a strong chance of Tetnanger and Chinooks. Sadly, my buddy that grew them didn't label very efficiently. He marked the bags east and west, but there's a "pond east" and a "garage east" as well as a "g mix".

PM me if you want to work something out. I have plenty of all of them.

Back