Yeast Rafts: Not an Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremevans

Reaction score
I opened up my fermentor to take a sample and wow, it was yeast raft central.

This is a saison using the Belle Saison strand and has been in the fermentor since last Friday night (6 days, 12 hours).

I have seen a lot of "is this an infection" type of posts so I thought it would be good to show a picture of what is not an infection.

Yeast Rafts (Belle Saison).jpg

And, just for good measure here is an infection...on purpose (Roeselare).

Sneak Peak at Flanders Red -- Nov 6 2013.jpg

Hey Jeremevans,

Take a look at my photos on flickr of my carboy and beer?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58342040@N05/

Wondering if I'm working on a pelican or if by some chance it is yeast rafts or something else?

It is a bier-de-garde, og aroung 1.068 last gravity was about 1.034 after 1 month of fermenting (at 68 degrees two weeks, 74 degrees two weeks.) Was using a Bier-de-garde yeast, got impatient (i think it was the Wyeast 3204 or something like that, they discontinued it) so I added the Wyeast 3711 which is what I normally use for this beer. Two days later I took a reading, and it was down to 1.020 I think, but I still wanted it to go a little further, so I let it ferment for 2 weeks while on honeymoon and this is what I returned to. Never seen anything like it, so I can't necessarily identify it. Any ideas?

58342040@N05

thanks

HI, just discovering this thread and wanted to post a picture of my krausen. At least I hope its krausen..

This is a Belgian Carmel Wit that I added Cacao to the final boil. So I guess that makes it a Belgian chocolate/carmel wit. Weird I know, but the beer store said it would be a good combination to try since I wanted to experiment.

Anyway, thoughts on this?
:rockin:
a1GOJvH.jpg
[/IMG]

I've seen something like that before--the big blobs. Do you have a high calcium content in your water? Or hard water? My guess is that you have some cold break that has clumped together. I've seen something like that a few time from brews here in the Omaha area.

Back