First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voodoogruv

Reaction score
I'm a first time brewer with a partial grain/partial extract stout brew currently in the secondary. I went eight days in the primary and have been in the secondary for two weeks with plans to bottle this weekend after nearly three weeks in the secondary. I am still seeing some gurgling of my airlock and signs of active fermentation, although slow, are there. Should 8 put off bottling for a couple more weeks?

I'm a first time brewer with a partial grain/partial extract stout brew currently in the secondary. I went eight days in the primary and have been in the secondary for two weeks with plans to bottle this weekend after nearly three weeks in the secondary. I am still seeing some gurgling of my airlock and signs of active fermentation, although slow, are there. Should 8 put off bottling for a couple more weeks?

The only way to know for sure is to take some hydrometer readings. Take a reading every day for 3 days, if the reading doesn't change you are good to bottle.

yes, airlock activity can mean a lot of things. You need to take gravity readings to know if its ready.

If you'd prefer to not see the airlock bubbling, I have a bucket who's lid leaks a little so the airlock never bubbles. I use a hydrometer to tell if my beer is done or not, same as you should. Airlocks lie....a lot.

Although I completely agree with other posters that you need to check your reading. I have concern about other issues. First of all, why are you using a secondary fermenter? It does not sound like you are aging the beer, therefore I would suggest that you not use a secondary. Generally speaking, the secondary may cause more harm than help at this stage. There is no problem keeping the beer in the primary for a solid month, in fact that is a lot better so the yeast can fully ferment the beer and clean up all the diacetyl and other random unwanting flavors. If you allow time, the yeast will settle to the bottom. I am assuming you are using a secondary to make a clearer, less sediment beer. This is not neccessary if you use a racking cane and pay attention towards the bottom so that you can pull it up when you begin to see sediment entering the beer.

Second, 8 days in the primary may not be enough time. Even if you do not see action in the airlock and your F.G. is where you want it to be, the yeast still needs time to finish every step. Trust me, great beer is worth the time.

I agree with Pierre. I use a secondary for age and extra clarification. My fermentation can go as so, of course varies.

Primary 3 weeks
Secondary 2 weeks
Bottle/Keg 2 + weeks

Thanks for the great tips. I think next batch I will keep it in the primary longer so that the time spent in the secondary is purely a conditioning phase(I prefer non-cloudy beer). I guess the major thing I am asking is will it harm the beer at all to sit in the secondary for a couple more weeks? Even if my grav readings are stable for three days?

Thanks for the great tips. I think next batch I will keep it in the primary longer so that the time spent in the secondary is purely a conditioning phase(I prefer non-cloudy beer). I guess the major thing I am asking is will it harm the beer at all to sit in the secondary for a couple more weeks? Even if my grav readings are stable for three days?

No, it won't hurt the beer.

If you are seeking clearer beer, use whirlfloc @ 10 minutes and cold crash @ 38*F three days before bottling. That will clear it up rather nicely. I just bottled a chocolate stout 9 days ago straight out of the primary (where it had been 3 weeks) that turned out very clear that way. No need for a secondary.

No, it will not harm the beer to sit in the secondary for a couple more weeks. As long as you have a properly working air-lock and your beer fills up most of the secondary fermenter, you can keep the beer in there for quite some time (I say this because of oxidation problems. The less empty space in the secondary, the less oxygen in the fermenter). In fact, it is adviseable to age barleywines and other higher gravity beers in the secondary for months on end. Of course at that stage, you need to add new yeast before bottling. But in your case, the yeast will last no problem in the secondary for a couple of weeks.

Age it for around 2 more weeks and then carbonate as usual. I have also had good results letting the beer condition for a few weeks after you carbonate as well. Patience while brewing is a hard thing, something I have yet to master.:) Let me know how it turns out.

Popped one open last weekend, and was still a little tart tasting(not sour, but tart) which I hear is just from being young in the bottle. Other flavors seemed on point with beginnings of tiny bubbles and carb building. I am excited to have this beer ready soon. Brewing again this week, an IPA, going to give that plenty of time in the primary. Yes, I am hooked.

RM-MN said:
If you'd prefer to not see the airlock bubbling, I have a bucket who's lid leaks a little so the airlock never bubbles. I use a hydrometer to tell if my beer is done or not, same as you should. Airlocks lie....a lot.

Same problem here...no airlock activity but can smell the hops if I get close enough...needless to say I upgraded to a 6 gallon better bottle...

Same problem here...no airlock activity but can smell the hops if I get close enough...needless to say I upgraded to a 6 gallon better bottle...

I'm not entirely convinced that that was an upgrade but if you like it......

I like my buckets whether they make the airlock bubble or not. From the time I pitch yeast until I have the beer in bottles my fermenters go up a flight of stairs to the room that has the temperature for the start of ferment, down 2 flights to a warmer area to complete the ferment and settle the yeast and back up a flight to bottle. Buckets have handles that make this easy, better bottles do not. I can take my sponge and wipe down the fermeter when it is empty to get the last of the krausen off. When the fermenter aren't in use, I can slip one inside the other for storage.

Great thing about brewing is you can do what works for you. I secondary with a 6 gallon plastic bottle and love it. As long as your sanitation practices are good you will be fine with a secondary. But like others have said it is not necessary.

As far as time fermenting goes the bulk of beers should be ready to bottle in a couple of weeks. Yes some beers like lagers and barley wines take longer but most beers are fine to bottle at two weeks.

RM-MN said:
I'm not entirely convinced that that was an upgrade but if you like it......

I like my buckets whether they make the airlock bubble or not. From the time I pitch yeast until I have the beer in bottles my fermenters go up a flight of stairs to the room that has the temperature for the start of ferment, down 2 flights to a warmer area to complete the ferment and settle the yeast and back up a flight to bottle. Buckets have handles that make this easy, better bottles do not. I can take my sponge and wipe down the fermeter when it is empty to get the last of the krausen off. When the fermenter aren't in use, I can slip one inside the other for storage.

It's an upgrade for me as I don't have the issues you have...I would rather see the beer then have it in a bucket...yes storage is easier but I have the space...not getting rid of my buckets though!!!

Varmintman said:
Great thing about brewing is you can do what works for you. I secondary with a 6 gallon plastic bottle and love it. As long as your sanitation practices are good you will be fine with a secondary. But like others have said it is not necessary.

As far as time fermenting goes the bulk of beers should be ready to bottle in a couple of weeks. Yes some beers like lagers and barley wines take longer but most beers are fine to bottle at two weeks.

YUP!!!!! I agree

Back