Who wants to build my control box for me....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
I will buy and ship all the stuff to you, you build it, and I will pay to ship it back, and pay you for your time?

I really dont want to do this, and dont want to die trying.

T

It would help a lot of the members that "might" be interested if you would describe the "control box" that you are wanting to have.

Like:
PID control?
BCS control?
HLT + BOIL + RIMS? - Or something else?
What is the system size?
Many more questions as well.

Help us help you.

It would help a lot of the members that "might" be interested if you would describe the "control box" that you are wanting to have.

Like:
PID control?
BCS control?
HLT + BOIL + RIMS? - Or something else?
What is the system size?
Many more questions as well.

Help us help you.

I agree, sorry.

3 vessel, 15gal eHerms with 2 pumps

2 pid eHerms, 2x240@5500w elements, 2 pumps...

Internals

PIDs from Kegkits
RTDs from here....RTDs

I would like to put this in a toll box to save some money, but if not then I can get the enclosure.

See my "rebuilding again" thread as well.

Hope this helps

Tim

Please be very careful on your PID selection. You are on your own with a lot of them if you need help later on.

I would seriously look at Auber Instruments.

Please be very careful on your PID selection. You are on your own with a lot of them if you need help later on.

I would seriously look at Auber Instruments.

..and I am looking at them as well, price from each vendor is really close, but I cant compair much of anyting rgiht now because the Army has the KegKit site blocked for some reason, they kinda lock down the filtering when you are not at home station.

Tim

..and I am looking at them as well, price from each vendor is really close, but I cant compair much of anyting rgiht now because the Army has the KegKit site blocked for some reason, they kinda lock down the filtering when you are not at home station.

Tim
As I said - be very careful on your choice on the PID (KegKit). Think this one through again. Please.!

No worries P-J, and thx for looking out. Its stuff like this that makes me enjoy the hobby so much.
Right inline with my other community, Cigars, lots of looking out for your own.

So, did I cover the basics of what other info might be needed?

There are a few main reasons why I would like it built for me.
1. Scared to death to do it my self
2. Dont wanna pay HighGravity Prices for the EBCIII
3. Last one I dont wanna say out loud......

Tim

No worries P-J, and thx for looking out. Its stuff like this that makes me enjoy the hobby so much.
Right inline with my other community, Cigars, lots of looking out for your own.

So, did I cover the basics of what other info might be needed?

There are a few main reasons why I would like it built for me.
1. Scared to death to do it my self
2. Dont wanna pay HighGravity Prices for the EBCIII
3. Last one I dont wanna say out loud......

Tim

Why not just buy one from Kal and Mike.. I just finished one of their parts kits for a back to back setup and love it. look at the link of the pics at my footer of the one I built.

They will build a complete and tested one for you also instead of a kit.

Putting in a tool box is not very safe either.

Hes selling electrical components now. Very busy in electric build threads. Don't know how this guy is still allowed to operate

@TwoDogs - That looks like it will cost as much as I got inthe rest of my set up. Well over the $700 for the EBCIII...which I am trying to stay under

What you want to build will cost about 400-600 in parts alone, without cables.

A toolbox is perfectly safe as well, there are many builds using them.

The EBCIII is actually a pretty good deal, especially compared with Kal's panel.

I am going to sit down and work up my parts list and such, to see what I am looking at

THX so far for all the input.

Tim

Yeah, I'll put it together for you. I'm not a certified electrician, but I did wire my own house and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

I can start a new thread about the build and take detailed pictures so everyone can approve or disapprove of my methods. I do have a certified electrician friend and he could come over and verify for us that I did everything right. I will have a 50a outlet to plug it into and risk blowing myself up before you have to risk blowing yourself up. My 25 gallon BK should be ready in time for me to use it as a test to verify that the PIDs are working correctly.

Lord knows I've looked over this electric brewing forum enough in the past month - it's time for me to put my knowledge to use.

I'm planning on building my own 50a 240v system. I'm just waiting to have enough cash to buy all the pieces.

Here's what I'm planning:
(2) 5500w elements with the ability to run both simultaneously. I might drop one of the elements to 4500w if the amps being used are too close for comfort for the 50a circuit breaker
(2) PIDs connected to pt100 probes, one for the BK and one for the HLT
(2) digital temp displays connected to pt100 probes, one for the MLT and one for the chiller
(2) 40a SSRs to allow the PIDs to tell the elements to turn on or off
(2) 240v 2-pole contactors to energize the elements when I want them be be energized or not
(2) illuminated push button switches to turn the pumps on and off
(2) illuminated push button switches to turn the contactors on and off
(2) regular switches to energize the PIDs or not
(2) LED lights to let me know when the elements are energized
(1) buzzer alarm to let me know if I've gone over my temps, but I've heard that the buzzer is really freaking loud, so I might hook up a simple computer chirper mounted inside the control panel to let me know to look at the panel
(2) regular switches, one for each alarm on each PID, to be able to shut the alarm up if I want
(1) E-stop button
(2) 25a 240v DIN-mounted circuit breakers to power the elements
(1) 15a 120v DIN-mounted circuit breaker to power everything else
(80) miles of wire to hook all of this stuff together
And a few 1a fast-blow fuses to protect stuff like the E-stop button, the PIDs, the illuminated switches and all that jazz

I was also planning on adding in a keyed switch and an LED light to show that power was on in the panel, but after finding out how much a 50a 240v 2-pole contactor costs ($100 at McMaster-Carr), I don't think I'm going to go that route. I could get one off of eBay for a lot cheaper, but since I'm already controlling power with switches to the elements and switches for the PIDs...how necessary is that extra level of switching? Not very, in my estimation.

Here's a pic of my planned control box. I already bought a 16"x20"x8" for real cheap off of eBay.

controlpanelversion2.jpg

Anyway, if you want to talk more to me about this, just send me a private message and we can work the details out. If you're not comfortable with a guy that's never built one of these before doing it, I won't be offended.

Hes selling electrical components now. Very busy in electric build threads. Don't know how this guy is still allowed to operate

This is Tom from 'kegkits'. You guys just don't give up, do you? And no-one is allowed to fail in business? And yes we are selling electrical components as well as other items and we are about to launch a complete E-brew panel that will control boil rate and mash temperature, all from one compact panel.

Look at my post history and you'll see that I have been contributing quite a bit around here and I intend to continue. Also, I guarantee that every time one of you bashes me - other list members check out my site & someone buys something. So, who are you really hurting when you bash me and my business????

Thanks for the thread link PJ. Sheesh what a scum bag!! I am surprised that the mods allow him on HBT. And my question would be if he is a vendor why doesn't his profile show him as a vendor instead of a "lifetime member"?

Just saying..... :)

If you need help, let me know. I finished my control panel a few months ago. Plus I'm always up for helping another military brewer.

I just got my panel done 100% wired and all through Ryan at ebrewsupply.com

I really am pleased with the quality of everything and would recommend him a million times over. PM me if you'd like more details and or pics of how I am using his stuff.

First let me thank all those that have offerd up help, it really means a lot.
This forum runs on the Pay it Fwd spirit, it really does!

Second, can we please leave the drama, and bashing out of this thread. Everything that is being talked about has been discussed in detail in other treads dedicated to the topic.

This is simply a thread asking for a kind soul to do something for me, that I am not able/confident enough to do for myself....(swollows a bit of pride..lol)

Again, thank you for all your help and input, it is always needed and very much valued.

Tim

WOW! Just red though all the post about keg kits business in the past and I am surprised anyone would do business with him. Scary reading!

Also after reading all the post I see that you were denied being a vendor! Too funny!

And he still is up to same ole crap here is the latest filings with BBB....

http://www.bbb.org/northern-alabama...e-sales-in-huntsville-al-900050886/complaints

go back and look at the dates on the complaints. Everything stays on BBB for 3 years and all but 2 complaints are almost 3 years old! Tom from 'kegkits'.

Second, can we please leave the drama, and bashing out of this thread. Everything that is being talked about has been discussed in detail in other treads dedicated to the topic.

I've decided not to edit any of the posts in this thread, because they are neither off-topic nor counter-factual.

But, please heed the OP's plea quoted above - no more conversation about Kegkits in this thread, please. Go to the company reviews forum (in the homebrewing community section) if you want to continue the conversation there.

MX1, if Kegkits gets raised again in this thread, please hit the report button and a moderator will delete it.

I've decided not to edit any of the posts in this thread, because they are neither off-topic nor counter-factual.

But, please heed the OP's plea quoted above - no more conversation about Kegkits in this thread, please. Go to the company reviews forum (in the homebrewing community section) if you want to continue the conversation there.

MX1, if Kegkits gets raised again in this thread, please hit the report button and a moderator will delete it.

I am not a fan of deleting content, I just hope we can keep it on track is all.
Thank you for your attention.

Tiim

What you want to build will cost about 400-600 in parts alone, without cables.

A toolbox is perfectly safe as well, there are many builds using them.

The EBCIII is actually a pretty good deal, especially compared with Kal's panel.

Your right about the 400-600 in parts

And the EBCIII lost me at mech relays....

But in all the excitment, I forgot that my baby sister works at an Elect Wholesaler....

Witing on some prices from her right now.

Tim

I think you might have a bit of trouble getting all that in a tool box. By the time you add in bus bars, SSR, heatsink, fan, and contactor, its going to be real tight. You also have to leave room for wires to route without kinking.

FWIW my control box is in a toolbox.

I think you might have a bit of trouble getting all that in a tool box. By the time you add in bus bars, SSR, heatsink, fan, and contactor, its going to be real tight. You also have to leave room for wires to route without kinking.

FWIW my control box is in a toolbox.

I will use an enclosure, was looking at using a 22 inch metal tool box, but decide not too

Don't forget to look at the for sale page here. I got a lot of stuff from there and it save me a bunch. Also you can check out http://www.ebrewsupply.com/, www.mouser.com they both have a lot of stuff for what seems like good deals

looking at the 2 pid kit fromEbrewSupply, will take a look at mouser....

Mouser has din rail mounted circuit breakers, terminal blocks and things like that. I thought there switches were overpriced. But the din rail stuff was cheap and you could buy it individually which I didn't find at many other places

I just want to thank eveyone for the help, offers, and input. Think I will jsut wait and build it myself, think it will mean more, and I will understand more this way.

So her eis the shopping list as it stands now

PID SYL-2352............................Auber Inst........2@ 45.50......91.00
Lg Enclosure..............................Auber Inst........1@ 69.97......69.97
Ex Mount Heat Sink....................Auber Inst........1@ 48.00......48.00
RTD 2.5 Inch /1/2 NPT Deluxe.....Auber Inst........2@ 44.35......88.70
L6-30 FO..................................Amazon........ ....2@ 36.00.......72.00
L5-15 FO..................................EbrewSupply... ..2@ 22.00.......44.00
L14-30 FI................................ Amazon............1@ 32.00.......32.00
DIY Kit 2 PID............................EbrewSupply .....1@ 180.00....180.00

Tim

don't forget all the little things: drill, drill press, gang box, hole saw, punches, wiring, file, wire stripper. etc.

those may be "i know" items, but they really do start to add up.

They have some of those things at the hobby shop on my base, just not the step bit or hole punches which I ha to get

Back