First Batch! excited but a tad concerned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So after contemplating brewing for 12 months I finally dove in. Had all the necessities ready and as gifts I had received a pilsner kit and a lager kit. Neither really the type of beer I was after but a seasoned brewer told me to add em together and make a stronger beer. He also suggested a more specialized yeast than what came with the kits.

So I was careful sterilizing and boiling etc. Beer has been in the fermenter about 2.5 weeks. I started with OG of 1.071 and its currently at 1.032. I was told it should be lower but my previous reading 4 days ago was 1.036 so I don't think its going to drop much more. So my concern is this. The beer is cloudy and amber in color, which I didn't think it would be. While the aroma is good, the taste of the test was a little bitter which I didn't think it would be. Reason for concern? Suggestions?

I'd let it settle out a little more.
What yeast did you use?
How did you prepare the yeast?

Hi, it's nice you did the moved and brewed some! 1.032 sure seems high but let it go for a couple more days before worrying. time will take care of the cloudiness..especially if its not done fermenting, the yeast is still in suspension, dont worry! :) the bitterness will mellow with time, and as your beer is still quite young i wouldnt worry about that!

used safele us-05 dry ale yeast. The directions said to just open and sprinkle. I did not prepare it in any way.

Let it sit for 2 weeks and try not to think about it. Check the gravity at that point for a few days and see if its stable. If so, try setting it outside (don't let it freeze) that will cause a lot of the cloudiness to fall out of suspension. I try not to even look at mine for 2-3 weeks while in the primary. Cheers

Let it sit for at least a week and a half to two weeks. It all takes patience.

Yea 62 is low for that strain. If you can move it to a location where it can stay near 70 it might drop lower, rouse the yeast a bit too, there is not much to lose at this point. Doing anything now other than letting it finish would produce very under attenuated beer, not enjoyable.

US05 seems to do better at the higher end of the range. When I keep mine at 72-74 it finishes within 7 days, at 64 - 65 it takes at least 3 weeks.

If you can bring the temperature up and rouse the yeast it may finish up where it should..

Back