Making The Jump To Larger Scale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So, a couple friends and I have been considering getting together a much larger system than any one of us has now (we all brew in 5 or 10 gallon batches)
We have been considering splitting cost and delving into perhaps getting a bigger system, perhaps able to handle 1 - 2 bbl.

Are there different operations you need to know about doing this sort of thing?
The usual technique has been brew 5 or 10 gallons and throw them into carboy(s). Looking at some of the equipment in that size ranged makes me wonder if I/We know how to actually operate it =)
Just from shopping through different sites and stuff for hours, it seems to be a completely different animal than brewing in a kettle, chilling and xfering to carboys. Any suggestions/places to look to get more info on taking the upgrade plunge?

I just wish I could afford to jump up to 10 gallons!
Good luck on the upgrade. With the money you are going to be dishing out, you want to be able to make good decisions.

I've been having the same thoughts, so I decided to volunteer at a a local brewery. What I took away is that the process is essentially the same, whether it's 5 gallons or 15 barrels you brew; it just takes some time to learn the peculiarities of new equipment and system. I expect it'll take a brew or three to adjust and then you'll be wondering why you were ever worried about it.

Or that's what I tell myself.

Thanks for the input. Thinking about it now, it seems a bit overwhelming, but part of that also stems from not truly knowing the shopping list.
I wish I could volunteer at a local brewery, but there are really only a couple where I live and they are pretty small and I think like 2 or 3 man operations. I guess I can always try to get in touch w them as well, just to give it a shot.

If you want to see a larger system in operation I will be broadcasting my brew day again on Monday which should help take some of the mystery out of it.

I work with a 3bbl system and honestly in a lot of ways I see it as easier than a smaller system because of it. You use a lot more grain, water and yeast in the process but transfers, sparges, recirc and fermenter transfers are easier due to pump output and working with a relativley closed system setup which limits potential for infections.

I will also do my best to answer any questions I can. The broadcast yesterday took right around 7hrs from start to finish. I can't share any recipe info because it is a business but I will answer anything else.

Don't worry about volunteering for a small brewery. I currently volunteer at a local brewery which only has two full time employees, making 20-30bbl batches at a time. From what I've learned, brewers always love the help! There's always plenty of work to go around, and more times than not they share secrets, and beer.

Thanks guys!~ Nightshade that's awesome, I would love to check out the broadcast!

Back