Session style CDA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc318

Reaction score
On brewing TV episode 28, Dawson did and extract session style Cascadian Dark Ale. Looked awesome. Found his recipe online and was thinking about ordering it. Made a little tweak though and was wondering what some of you thought of this:

0.5# weyermann carafa 3 for steeping
6.0# NB Gold Malt syrup @ 60
1oz warrior pellet @ 60
1oz Cascade @ 10
1oz Columbus @ 0

Pitch safale us 05

Any thoughts? Dawson dry hopped the third ounce and it was centennial. I only have one FV. Would dry hopping in primary be an ok thing to do or would my slight tweak turn out great? Thanks!

I dry hop in my primary. Never had a problem. I usually do it at week three for 5 days or so.

Use the Carafa special. It's the dehusked version so it's smoother. Maybe throw in some C40?

TimTrone said:
Use the Carafa special. It's the dehusked version so it's smoother. Maybe throw in some C40?

The carafa 3 I was looking at is dehusked too. Maybe half pound of the c40?

Cool, this has me already excited for the next brew and I just brewed yesterday. I think as a resident of NW OR it's almost mandatory to brew a CDA at least once.

This style of beer intrigues me. I love IPA's and I also love darker beers. CDA's are the best of both worlds. I have found a few recipes online and will be tweaking them to my own version soon. I have a Black IPA from Northern Brewer in the secondary right now. I can't wait for it to finish. I posted some info and recipes on my blog below.

http://www.starsbarsbrewing.blogspot.com/2012/03/black-ipa-or-cda.html

MedicMike said:
This style of beer intrigues me. I love IPA's and I also love darker beers. CDA's are the best of both worlds. I have found a few recipes online and will be tweaking them to my own version soon. I have a Black IPA from Northern Brewer in the secondary right now. I can't wait for it to finish. I posted some info and recipes on my blog below.

http://www.starsbarsbrewing.blogspot.com/2012/03/black-ipa-or-cda.html

Nice blog, thanks for the link. I haven't always been the biggest IPA fan, but have recently had some that brought out the hop flavor very well without it simply being a bitter bomb. I also like a good porter so the idea of a CDA seems worth a shot and especially a sessionable one that I can knock back a few with!

Changed up the recipe just a bit.

Steep 10 oz dehusked carafa III
6# NB Gold malt syrup
.5oz warrior @60
.5oz warrior @20
1oz centennial @0
1oz cascade @0
1oz chinook @0

Safale us-05 dry yeast
Target OG 1.047
27 SRM
44.5 IBU
Projected 4.5% abv
(according to the hopville.com beer calculus)

I'm hoping to have a new burner for this one so I can do full volume boil.

Going to try a little hop bursting. Was inspired by Bend, ORegon's Good Life Brewery and their Descender IPA. Really great hop flavor and aroma and didn't smack me upside the head with too much bitterness.

Hoping for a drinkable, session style, CDA. Thoughts on this revision?

Finally got my ingredients for this brew! Brewing tomorrow! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Changed up the recipe just a bit.

Steep 10 oz dehusked carafa III
6# NB Gold malt syrup
.5oz warrior @60
.5oz warrior @20
1oz centennial @0
1oz cascade @0
1oz chinook @0

Safale us-05 dry yeast
Target OG 1.047
27 SRM
44.5 IBU
Projected 4.5% abv
(according to the hopville.com beer calculus)

I'm hoping to have a new burner for this one so I can do full volume boil.

Going to try a little hop bursting. Was inspired by Bend, ORegon's Good Life Brewery and their Descender IPA. Really great hop flavor and aroma and didn't smack me upside the head with too much bitterness.

Hoping for a drinkable, session style, CDA. Thoughts on this revision?

Sounds good. I'm thinking about a similar recipe with a small amount of smoked malt or peet smoked malt to add a bit of smokiness to it.

Sounds good! When you get something together let us know. I'm really digging this kind of beer right now. The roasted grains and fresh hop flavors play so well together. I will try to detail the brew day with some pics.

Did t get any pics, but brew day went pretty well. I think the color of the beer is going to turn out more brown then black. The 3oz of hops at flame out really lightened up the wort. I also did a late addition with my LME. Next time I think all of it will go in at 60 to help with the color and adjust my hops accordingly. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Awesome. It might darken up once the hops settle out. My Black IPA has just under a week left for conditioning and then into to the fridge. I can't wait to see how it turned out.

MedicMike said:
Awesome. It might darken up once the hops settle out. My Black IPA has just under a week left for conditioning and then into to the fridge. I can't wait to see how it turned out.

I hope you're right. The color before the late hops was awesome! I pitched us-05 and boy did it have a nice active ferment.

Did you end up adding some of that smoked malt? Please let me know how it turns out after you taste it.

I hope you're right. The color before the late hops was awesome! I pitched us-05 and boy did it have a nice active ferment.

Did you end up adding some of that smoked malt? Please let me know how it turns out after you taste it.

My Black IPA was the Northern Brewer kit so no smoked malt. I do have a few CDA / Black IPA recipes that I'm going to try. One of them will include the smoked malt. I'm going to swirl the bottle to rouse the yeast tonight and then into the fridge on Sunday. I can't wait to try it. :rockin:

The Black IPA was ready last night. I've been waiting two months for this moment. Good carbonation. The pour was OK. Not much of a head. Not a huge deal. It looks and smells fantastic. Nice hop aroma. The taste is outstanding. Hoppy up front. Nice malt backbone. Hoppy finish. No off alcohol or off flavors. I am very pleased with the results. I tried it last night after mowing the lawn so I'm gonna have another one tonight and judge the results again.

Thats fantastic! I hope to bottle mine the end of the week or so. Im glad to hear yours turned out good.

Just took the first hydrometer reading. The sample from the thief was AWESOME! Great Hop aroma. Nice flavor. Very hoppy with a hint of the roast in the background. Really excited for it to be carbed and cold!

Just took the first hydrometer reading. The sample from the thief was AWESOME! Great Hop aroma. Nice flavor. Very hoppy with a hint of the roast in the background. Really excited for it to be carbed and cold!

Awesome. My Black IPA is friggin awesome. All of my friends are loving it. My Dad is taking a six pack to Nantucket to visit some friends and fellow beer lovers. I want to try to brew a few different beers this summer, but I can't shake the CDA idea. I love this beer style. I might make one and call it a CtDA for Connecticut Dark Ale. Just a CDA recipe with my own spin. Nothing too exciting to stay close to the style guidelines.

Right on man. Im with u on really digging this style. I think I only have a few friends that will be into this kind of beer, which is awesome for me! U said u did the NB black ipa right? All grain? Extract? Im already thinking about brewing this again even though I have some others planned first.

Right on man. Im with u on really digging this style. I think I only have a few friends that will be into this kind of beer, which is awesome for me! U said u did the NB black ipa right? All grain? Extract? Im already thinking about brewing this again even though I have some others planned first.

I did the NB extract kit. Awesome results. I'm thinking a Rye PA next.

If you do the rye pale ale, please let me know how it turns out. That has me super interested.

Just started drinking my CDA. Came in at 4.2% abv. I really like it. The hop flavor hangs out on my tongue and not the back of my throat. I hate it when my throat feels coated with hops. The aroma is huge too! There is plenty of flavor in this beer to cover up the session style. The roast flavor is subtle and come first with the hops exploding right after. This will probably be better when it's been in the bottle for another week or two. Thinking about tweaking it next time with some wheat LME instead of Gold LME. That might be interesting.

Latest posts

Back