Adding DME to boost efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is the formula for adding DME to the boil to boost efficiency if need be? I can't seem to find any info. Perhaps I am searching the wrong phrase. If there is a thread on the please post the link.

Adding DME to your boil will not improve efficiency. It will increase your OG, which could be good if your OG is low. To do this successfully, you need to know your pre-boil volume, post-boil volume, pre-boil gravity, and required post-boil gravity.
Here's the math.
Assume your pre-boil volume is V1, your post boil volume is V2, and your pre-boil gravity is G1.
Your post boil gravity (G2) will be 1 + ((G1 - 1.0) * V1 / V2)
i.e. if you start with G1 = 1.040, V1 = 7 gal, and V2 = 5.5 gal, your post boil gravity (G2) will be:
1 + ((1.040 - 1.0) * 7 / 5.5)
or 1 + ((0.040) * 7 / 5.5)
or 1 + .051
or 1.051

If you want your OG to be 1.062, subtract G2 from that, and that gives you the gravity points shortage. i.e. 1.062 - 0.051 = a shortage of 0.011
Now you need to calculate how much DME you need to add to make up that gravity points shortage.
Assume GS is the gravity points shortage (0.011), and V2 is the estimated post boil volume (5.5 gal)
The amount of DME you need to add is GS * V2 / 0.046 i.e. 0.011 * 5.5 / 0.046 or 1.32 lb DME.

Hope this makes sense,

-a.

Adding DME to your boil will not improve efficiency. It will increase your OG, which could be good if your OG is low. To do this successfully, you need to know your pre-boil volume, post-boil volume, pre-boil gravity, and required post-boil gravity.
Here's the math.
Assume your pre-boil volume is V1, your post boil volume is V2, and your pre-boil gravity is G1.
Your post boil gravity (G2) will be 1 + ((G1 - 1.0) * V1 / V2)
i.e. if you start with G1 = 1.040, V1 = 7 gal, and V2 = 5.5 gal, your post boil gravity (G2) will be:
1 + ((1.040 - 1.0) * 7 / 5.5)
or 1 + ((0.040) * 7 / 5.5)
or 1 + .051
or 1.051

If you want your OG to be 1.062, subtract G2 from that, and that gives you the gravity points shortage. i.e. 1.062 - 0.051 = a shortage of 0.011
Now you need to calculate how much DME you need to add to make up that gravity points shortage.
Assume GS is the gravity points shortage (0.011), and V2 is the estimated post boil volume (5.5 gal)
The amount of DME you need to add is GS * V2 / 0.046 i.e. 0.011 * 5.5 . 0.046 or 1.32 lb DME.

Hope this makes sense,

-a.

Yes it does. Thanks

Why not just add more grains to your mash to increase OG? It will save you money.

I think his point is he has already mashed out and has low gravity and is trying to correct on the fly. Your approach would work for his next attempt at the same recipe if there were no other process influences though.

I think his point is he has already mashed out and has low gravity and is trying to correct on the fly. Your approach would work for his next attempt at the same recipe if there were no other process influences though.

That is exactly why. I am generally either spot on or a few points +/- my perboil OG. However, I wanted to know what to do if I am not spot on

Back