Help w/ Pilsner-like Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need some opinions on mash temp and hop schedule. :)

9.5 # Pilsner
.5 # Cara-Pils

Since my brother is brewing this batch for me, I estimated 70-75% efficiency (normally get 75-80% w/ the BMW crush)....which comes out to 1.047 OG according to Beersmith.

I have 3 oz of 3.5 AA Saaz and another 1 oz of 5.8 AA. I was thinking of using the 5.8 AA for bittering and go from there. Any opinions on FWH'ing? I've never totally understood how it works so I haven't been able to use it for my own recipes yet.

I'll be using Nottingham fermented @ 56-58F. I know Notty usually comes out pretty dry as it is, so what would be a good mash temp considering the .5 # of Cara-Pils?

Thanks a bunch guys!

I'd mash at around 149° to make sure that it gets dry and crisp.

Toss the higher alpha Saaz in at 60 and then .5 oz Saaz at 5 - 10 minutes and you've pretty much got a German Pils recipe.

Is the 5.8%AA the American Saaz variety? If so, could you let me know how everything turns out? I have some in the freezer that I need to use up and was planning on a similiar type of beer you're brewing (though I may throw in some vienna for a touch of maltiness). Thanks so much!

Is the 5.8%AA the American Saaz variety?

Yes it is. I'll post back for sure when I get to sample it.

Toss the higher alpha Saaz in at 60 and then .5 oz Saaz at 5 - 10 minutes and you've pretty much got a German Pils recipe.

Cool, I was thinking the same for the 60 min. Would you not use the full 3 ozs then for the late additions?

It depends what you're going for. If you want a pils like fizzy yellow beer then you wouldn't want too much hop aroma/flavor in the finish. It's going to finish pretty low, FG wise, so a little will go a long way.

If you want fairly hoppy pils like beer, maybe go an ounce and a half split up over the last 20 minutes.

.5 @ 20
.5 @ 10
.5 @ flameout

Will give you a little more bittering as well.

For some reason, I feel like a bud light ....

Thanks mmb, I might play around w/ it a little more but so far I'm thinking:

1 oz 5.8 AA @ 60
.5 oz 3.5 AA @ 15
.5 oz @ 10
.5 oz @ 5
.5 oz @ flameout

I'd like to use at least the full 2 oz of the 3.5 Saaz since I'll already have opened the pack. :)

Edit: Just plugged that into BS and it looks like it only gives me 25 IBUs. Maybe I'll do your schedule and just use a full ounce for each which brings it up to 31 IBUs

Thoughts?

Either one should be fine. Since this should finish pretty low, it will have a pronounced hop presence, more than you might expect. German Pils style is actually fairly bitter for the IBU level.

Getting 2 or 3 oz of hops in there late in the boil will trend more towards an Americanized German Pils. Should be interesting. I'd lean towards the 2oz addition schedule you posted than a 3oz schedule at 20/10/flame.

Either way, should be a nice drinking beer.

How did this turn out? I hope you remember, given that this post is years old.
Planning my summer beers right now, and I love Prima Pils as well.

Back