What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lake Front Brewery's variety pack. East Side Dark, Cream City Pale Ale, River West Stein Beer, Fuel Stout (coffee stout), Klisch Pilsner, Cattail Ale, Pupkin Ale, Organic ESB (my fav). Warming up for the Brewery tour after the badger game with Pumbaa.

Stone Smoked Porter. Phenomenal beer. A little bit of smoke aroma, not overwhelming with the smoke flavor. Great chocolately flavor. I *need* to find a clone, this is a fabulous beer.

Rogue Chipotle Ale - Nice smoky flavor up front, sweet caramel notes and a slow building heat. I'm drinking it as a research project of sorts. I'm thinking of formulating a Chili Tripel.

Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye.

Tonight one thing went better than planned and another just makes me want to drink.

And one of them was the election...

Since this isn't a political board I'll let you decide which one! :p

Brewtopia said:
Rogue Chipotle Ale - Nice smoky flavor up front, sweet caramel notes and a slow building heat. I'm drinking it as a research project of sorts. I'm thinking of formulating a Chili Tripel.

I LOVE that since I've started brewing I can use "research" as an excuse to drink more beer. :rockin:

fantastic.

Legend Brewery's Chocolate Porter. It's a seasonal beer that I've been waiting for and think I'm going to get them to fill a corny for me tomorrow.

It's still a little too cold, as I just took it out of the 'fridge, but very good.

Very strong chocolate aroma, goes down smooth with a chocolatey aftertaste. (a beer judge I am not, but I know what I like)

I'm drinking another IPA. Centenial IPA. I like it very much as it seems very balanced. The hops are not overwhelming.

the_bird said:
How'd it come out? Have you found the grail yet?

Not quite there yet. I need to bump up the molasses and add a touch more patent or maybe some roasted barley.

Next batch should be close to the bullseye.

-walker

Have you ever played around with smoked malt? I'm working on a smoked porter for my next batch, small amount of peat-smoked malt (prolly 2oz). The best beer I've had in ages is Stone Smoked Porter, that beer singlehandely reminds me that YES - I LOVE PORTERS!

I used smoked malt in my 80/- Scottish Ale.

That's probably the next brew after the pale ale I'm brewing tomrrow.

You ever play around with it in any of the porters? Wondering if a tiny amount (like, an ounce of peat) might give you a little extra smokiness/roastiness rather than bumping up the black patent.

the_bird said:
Have you ever played around with smoked malt? I'm working on a smoked porter for my next batch, small amount of peat-smoked malt (prolly 2oz). The best beer I've had in ages is Stone Smoked Porter, that beer singlehandely reminds me that YES - I LOVE PORTERS!

One thing... the peat smoked malt might not be the smoked malt you are looking for. That's going to give it a distinct Scotch whisky taste. Rauchmalt might be more appropriate, but you have to use a LOT more than a couple oz to make it shine through.

Just my $0.02

From what I've read, Stone uses peat-smoked malt. Because of what I want to do with the rest of the recipe and because my mash tun is now on the small side (5 gallon cooler), I'd rather use the more concentrated peat than regular smoked malt.

One thought I have down the road is to do a smoked IPA like Dude, but smoke them with some hops.

My dark pumpkin ale.

Tastes like a lightly spiced alt. mmmm

I think the next time I'll give it a little more mouthfeel though, and maybe a little better head retention.

Going very smoothly :drunk: :D

Green tea, but then it's 8:16 a.m. I'll have the first pint out of the Whole Harvest Mild for lunch.

A La Trappe Blond - (I've already drunk a Dubbel by them first tonight!). I'd drink it more often if the price wasn't so high. However it does come in fantastic ceramic style bottles which will work great for both home brewed 'abbey style' beers and 'farmhouse' ciders. :)

Just finished a pint of Pelican Brewery's Bridal Ale 2006. Now sipping my Whole Harvest Mild.

Just had a Chimay Triple at dinner; not something that I'd drink all the time, but damn good. Went to a restautant in the Finger Lakes region after an afternoon of wine tastings; very good times.

After searching all over for the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale everyone has been talking about, I finally am drinking some. I'm not normally a hop head but this is a very tasty beer.

I would recomend this one :mug:

Stone Double Bastard. A nice deep amber, almost ruby color. Nice hop kick like the regular Bastard, but at 10% abv, it's sweeter and a thicker mouthfeel. I'll be sipping on this one for a while since I actually have to get something done here besides downing a 22 and calling it a night. :p

Schnieder Weisse Hefeweizen. It's great. And darker than I thought it would be. It's almost an amber color. Crisp flavor, not too spicy and fairly carbonated. Nice and light. Very good. :tank:

Back