Will adding more yeast hurt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhughes

Reaction score
Long story short, I didn't think my dry yeast looked right when I proofed it, then 1 day after pitching, I wasn't seeing any airlock activity, so I gave the bucket a good shake and made sure the lid was on tight but still nothing.

So yesterday, the second day, I purchased another pack of yeast and sprinkled it on top of the brew. When I opened the lid, it did look like it may have been fermenting some as there was a layer of foam on top about 2 inches thick. I thought this might be a good sign, but I added the dry yeast to it anyway since I had already bought it. After I sprinkled it on top, I gave it a stir with a sanitized spoon. If it has been fermenting, then the gases must be getting out through the lid somewhere but I can close it any tighter.

Would adding more yeast to the brew after it has been fermenting for 2 days hurt it?

The beer is an IPA and the yeast was American Ale US-05

it shouldnt hurt it, but aerating it after its been fermenting might. depends how far along fermentation was. you also cant go by airlock activity as a sign of fermentation. just wait 7 days and take a gravity reading. and even fermentation has taken place, youre not done after 7 days, just let it go dude. im sure its fine if youve gotten kraussen.

So you noticed activity but still tossed in another pack of yeast? No it won't hurt it, people do it all the time when fermentation seems to get stuck. However its usually a good idea to go ahead and rehydrate dry yeast in some sanitized water "before" adding it but it still should be fine.

Long story short, I didn't think my dry yeast looked right when I proofed it, then 1 day after pitching, I wasn't seeing any airlock activity, so I gave the bucket a good shake and made sure the lid was on tight but still nothing.

So yesterday, the second day, I purchased another pack of yeast and sprinkled it on top of the brew. When I opened the lid, it did look like it may have been fermenting some as there was a layer of foam on top about 2 inches thick. I thought this might be a good sign, but I added the dry yeast to it anyway since I had already bought it. After I sprinkled it on top, I gave it a stir with a sanitized spoon. If it has been fermenting, then the gases must be getting out through the lid somewhere but I can close it any tighter.

Would adding more yeast to the brew after it has been fermenting for 2 days hurt it?

The beer is an IPA and the yeast was American Ale US-05
bhughes, I'm curious as to how that first batch turned out. Did you end up adding more yeast? Thanks.

Both of the links are not working.
I've reported this issue to the mod/admin team to find an answer.
Might be because they are 9 years old.

Edit: 10 years... it’s been a long day and I can’t subtract!
You can subtract. Technically it's still 21 days shy of 10 years.

Latest posts

Back