Step mashes with BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
So I'm going to try going to AG with BIAB this weekend (11 gal brew kettle), and I have some concerns about a step mash for this Paulaner Hefe clone.

It calls for the following:

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Protein Rest Add 6.54 L of water at 120.3 F 111.0 F 20 min
Saccrification Add 5.54 L of water at 212.0 F 152.0 F 40 min
Step Heat to 168.0 F over 2 min 168.0 F 10 min

My question: How do BIAB methods affect how to do this mash? Is there a special technique?

Well the only thing with BIAB is you usually run a dilute mash so this step volume thing wouldnt match up with that. I sometimes just split the difference and save some of my volume of water to add as well as draw off some of my mash and heat that up as well to raise the temp. You could also add some direct heat, if using a kettle, along with the boiling water to get to the next temp.

Sorry i dont know of an exact technique to use but if adding direct heat i would stir the whole time.

Good luck and post up how you ended up attacking it and what the results were!

I've used direct heat for step-mashes with some success -- I won't say it has the same quality of a true step decoction but it gets the job done.

So for the schedule you posted:

Heat mash water to 120°F and add grain. Should stabilize around 110°F. Hold for 20 minutes.
Apply direct fire until you hit 152°F. Hold for 40 minutes.
Apply direct fire until you hit 168°F. Hold for 10 minutes.

I also sparge, so after the 10 minutes at 168°, that is where I'd do my sparge.

You'll want to stir the mash while applying direct fire so you get a good temperature distribution and no hot spots that can mess with the enzymes. If the fire is on, I'm stirring -- I also have the fire wide open so the temperature changes don't take long at all.

I´m a Braumeister user/owner if you don´t know the system i´ll tell you it´s like and electric kettle that works like a BIAB with recirculation trough pumps. Apply direct heat to the desire temp and hold it there it´s simple as that. One thing is a step mash and another thing a decoction. All decoction are step mash but no all step mash are decoctions so don´t get confused. As user rhamilton said make sure you stir the mash so the heat distrubutes evenly. Step mashes work like a charm for me.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Sounds like I should have some fun this weekend. Never done BIAB but looking forward to it!

I've used direct heat for step-mashes with some success -- I won't say it has the same quality of a true step decoction but it gets the job done.

So for the schedule you posted:

Heat mash water to 120°F and add grain. Should stabilize around 110°F. Hold for 20 minutes.
Apply direct fire until you hit 152°F. Hold for 40 minutes.
Apply direct fire until you hit 168°F. Hold for 10 minutes.

I also sparge, so after the 10 minutes at 168°, that is where I'd do my sparge.

You'll want to stir the mash while applying direct fire so you get a good temperature distribution and no hot spots that can mess with the enzymes. If the fire is on, I'm stirring -- I also have the fire wide open so the temperature changes don't take long at all.

Back