New Mash Tun efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
Just got a new mash tun made from a 60 quart igloo cooler. It is square not round so I can do 5 gallon as well as big beers I originally bought it for. Did a Sam Adams Boston Ale clone today. I used a previous recipe I had where I knew the efficiency so I could compare my 5 gal setup to the new setup. Here's my recipe.

Sam Adams Clone(All Grain)

Ingredients

10 lbs. American 2 Row Pale Malt
1 lb. Crystal 60L
1.5 oz. Spaalt 60 min.
.5 oz. East Kent for 30 min.
.5 oz. East Kent for 10 min.
1 oz. Fuggles at flameout
1.5 tsp. Irish moss
White Labs East Coast Ale Yeast WLP008

Brew Process

Brewed on 5/21/06

Mash grain in 3.24 gallon water at 158 degrees for 1 hour. Mash out at 170 degrees.
Sparge with 7 gallons of 170 degree water
Heat wort to 212 degrees.
When wort temp. is at 212 degrees add bittering hops(60 minute hops).
At 30 minutes to go add flavoring hops(30 minute hops).
At 10 minutes to go add the aroma hops(10 minute hosp).
At 15 minutes to go add the Irish Moss.
Turn fire off and add finishing hops(flameout hops).

In my 5 gal set up I got a 1.052 out of it.

In my 10 gal setup about 1/2 of the way through the boil I drew off some wort and did a hydro reading corrected for the temperature it was about 1.045. I figured I may not hit my target gravity of about 1.052 so I added 1 cup of DME. With the DME I hit 1.052 how much did that 1 cup effect my gravity given I had a 5 gallon batch.

I ran just the grain bill into Promash and to hit 1.052 you would need 66% efficiency. If I add .5 lbs. of DME and lower the efficiency to 60% it hits the 1.052 gravity.

I only added about 4 ounces of DME so that couldn't have affected the gravity that much. So I was pretty close at 66%.

Back