Help Identifying Faucet Type

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heinz57

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to pick this up if I want it, but I couldn't tell what type of faucets were installed. This is the largest picture of the tower the guy could send me, and outside of it being used one night for a bar promotion, he doesn't have any other details.

Thoughts on the faucets? Sorry about the size, but since the focus is on the faucets (and they're small in the picture) I figured nobody would mind a large picture just this once. :p

I'm thinking my best bet is to just asses the situation in person and if I don't like it tell the guy no thanks, but if anybody has ever dealt with a tower like this, or has any input on the faucets it would be much appreciated.

Anthony.jpg

You need to send it to me. You should not use this but in Colorado we can make it work. :D

I have no idea but I bet it can be made to work great.

Type;

Keg Beer Faucet - Stout and Ale, Gold Plated

Brand? :confused: At the least it may be embossed on the casting somewhere but, if not I am betting that Carlesberg sales could figure it out.

Crazy. I didn't even consider a stout faucet...I mean it's Carlsberg, why would they be pouring through a stout faucet? I just thought it might be some Euro company I'd never heard of before.

Exciting news. :mug:

If they were serving Carlsberg, then they probably took the restrictor plate out of the faucets. A local bar here serves all of their beers through stout faucets, but only the one serving Guiness has the restrictor plate in it.

If they were serving Carlsberg, then they probably took the restrictor plate out of the faucets. A local bar here serves all of their beers through stout faucets, but only the one serving Guiness has the restrictor plate in it.

+1 (with 10 chars)

That's what I figure. I'll pick this guy up this weekend and post some better pics once it's in hand.

Looks like it's time to get a restrictor plate (~$3) and some beergas to start some nitro pours. :ban:

Alright, game on. It's set for this weekend to pick up, but there is a twist.

Turns out, the seller has two of these. Sending emails back and forth, I didn't know the guy had two. He was charging $100 for one, and he says he'll sell me two of them for $150 total. What can I say, I can't resist. I don't have an immediate need for the second, but maybe I'll throw down for a Sanyo 4912 and have 6 taps in the apartment, wouldn't that be something...:drunk:

Alright, game on. It's set for this weekend to pick up, but there is a twist.

Turns out, the seller has two of these. Sending emails back and forth, I didn't know the guy had two. He was charging $100 for one, and he says he'll sell me two of them for $150 total. What can I say, I can't resist. I don't have an immediate need for the second, but maybe I'll throw down for a Sanyo 4912 and have 6 taps in the apartment, wouldn't that be something...:drunk:

If you decide to sell one of them I will definitely pick it up.:mug:

Alright, I finally picked these up this morning and man are they heavy. They consist of two main brass parts, the horizontal and vertical portions of the Tee. The main shaft going up the tower unscrews right at the Tee, and the two ends and the top of the Tee come off easily (no tools required). Each of the Carlsberg insignias come off very easily as well. I also took out the faucets and removed the tap handles without the need of any tools. Pretty easy so far.

However, it seems as if the faucets are constructed differently than shown on Micromatic's Site. If you click on the replacement parts link it shows a nice breakdown of their faucet. Micromatic's spouts are not attached to their faucet, and that's where they place their restrictor plate. The spout on my faucets is a solid piece of brass, there is no way to remove the spout. So it seems like just putting in a restrictor plate on these might take some thinking and a bit more disassembling of the faucet. I will take some pictures and post them once I dig up my camera.

An interesting note is that the two thick lines that you can see in the picture to the right are the cooling lines for the tower. The actual beer lines are much smaller in diameter, and have two of these small lines going to each tap. Both of these things seemed strange to me. Why such a small line and why two of them to each tap?

The biggest thing before I can even consider using them, is the absence of any fastening capabilities at the base. No bracket, no holes, nada. I'm curious to know how they were installed in the bar.

If I were a welding guy it seems the best solution would be to just weld an annular bracket around the base, drill and thread some holes through it and mount it like any other tower...but I can't weld. However, after a quick search it seems possible to do something like this, but what do I know.

Also, the tower can plug in to the wall to light up the Carlsberg signs, but I think I'm just going to pull it all out.

Once mounting the base is set in order, plumbing and insulating the tower is the only thing that needs to be done before they can pour something. I have a feeling I'm going to have to take apart one of the faucets completely to see where, if anywhere, I'll be able to put in a restrictor plate before I can consider using beergas.

Anybody have any thoughts or tips? I promise once I find my camera I'll post some close ups of the areas I'm talking about. If anybody wants to see anything specific let me know, I'll be sure to take a picture.

As promised here are some photos.

This first image is of the base. It's pretty obvious that a bracket at the bottom would really help mounting the tower to anything. It's definitely the first thing I would like to take care of.

IMG_1281-1.jpg

The second image is of the two small inputs into the faucet. Has anybody ever seen anything like this on a faucet before? As long as there is an available part, I can't imagine it should be that difficult to fix. I'll search around Micromatic's site to see what I can find.

IMG_1279-1.jpg

The final image is the full faucet with the handle removed.

IMG_1275-1.jpg

Any thoughts?

I'd take out that brass nut/fitting that's on the left in the last pic. See what's inside. Could it be for mixing beers? aka black and tan? You might just need a new nipple and nut.

B

Image of the 1/2" brass nut/fitting removed from the faucet.

IMG_1288-1.jpg

Then broken down into pieces once removed.

IMG_1289-1.jpg

I think I'll have to check the LHBS to see if a 3/16" tail piece will fit through the brass piece and the plastic ferrule. If it does, I'll have to check to see if the hex nut will fit into the tower. If I'm lucky and they do, the only task left will be to get a nice bulky bracket welded to the base. If not, I'll have to search around on McMaster to see if they have some sort of barbed fitting I can use.

Back