Favorite Berry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm just wonder what every ones favorite berry is. If you could only add one berry to your Melomel's for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Damian

Black. No, no blue...ahhhh Boysenberry! Yep, Boysenberry.

!biyse.jpg

Red Currants, shortly ahead of blueberries

I planted some red currents this spring and got about a 1lb. Do you recomend a ratio per gallon?

Blueberries are my favorite berry, but I don't like them in my mead. Assuming we are sticking to berries (ruling out cherry), I think cranberry works the best. I also planted some elderberry bushes, so I have to see how those work in mead.

I planted some red currents this spring and got about a 1lb. Do you recomend a ratio per gallon?
If you have a look over at gotmead, Chevette Girl currently has a thread going about red currants that might help, but failing that just look up some recipes online and then just replace the sugar with honey ?
Blueberries are my favorite berry, but I don't like them in my mead. Assuming we are sticking to berries (ruling out cherry), I think cranberry works the best. I also planted some elderberry bushes, so I have to see how those work in mead.
See since they became available here, I've sort of liked them, yet its rather weird, despite the wonderful colour etc, they seem to have less flavour than I expected.

Sure, great when raw/fresh but lacking in flavour and aroma when cooked..... black currants aren't so nice raw but when cooked the flavour, especially when sweetened, they just stomp the hell out of blueberries IMO.......

I used 20oz of Red Currant Jam in a mead and it worked out great.

@blueberry chat / @FB: you gotta get Wild blueberries. They are smaller and pack more of a flavor punch.

We like Nagoonberry, it's more common name is Arctic Raspberry and it is like concentrated raspberry.

Dried Elderberries with dark honey, with a little oak in the back, sweetened just a tad with a little dark honey at the end. WVMJ

I love Siberian Honeyberries but this year I had trouble with my bushes so didn't get but half a pint. Only enough for in a bowl of ice cream, not enough for a mead, maybe next year.

I love Siberian Honeyberries but this year I had trouble with my bushes so didn't get but half a pint. Only enough for in a bowl of ice cream, not enough for a mead, maybe next year.

I planted four 1 gallon sized honeyberry bushes this spring & got 3 berries off 2 plants. I didn't expect a single berry for at least another year. I can hardly wait till I have enough berries to make a gallon of wine and/or melomel!
Regards, GF. :mug:

blackberries with orange blossom honey.I just planted 2 gooseberry plants, it will be acouple of years before I can start experimenting.

In our backyard we raise:

Domestic
Red Raspberries
Gold Raspberries
Black Currants
Red Currants
Gooseberries
Strawberries
Blueberries
Goji Berriyes

Wild (native Alaskan plant transfers)
High Bush Cranberries
Wild Red Currants
Watermelon Berry
Kinnick Kinnick (Bear Berry)
Crow Berry
Nagoon Berry

Although, i don't know if it counts we also have lots and lots of wild Roses and like to use the Hips to round out jellies.

Latest posts

Back