Out of town for work 6 weeks ... What can i brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwin-in-nc

Reaction score
Found out today I have to be out of town for 6 weeks for work. My question is what style beer can I brew next weekend that can sit on the yeast cake for 6 weeks without affecting it. I brew 5 gallon batches in buckets.

Almost any style would work. The only one I would worry about would be a wheat beer and I'm not certain that even that would be a problem. I did a brown ale for 9 weeks and it was really smooth and ready to drink quicker than any other beer I've made. By the time it was carbonated it was ready.

Thanks .... Is keeping the temp control (lower than normal) important when u leave it that long ... I use a swamp cooler I can get swmbo to swap frozen water bottles for me when I'm away

Temperature control is really important during the lag phase as the yeast build cell walls and replicate and during the fast part of the ferment when the yeast activity can send the temperature higher. Once the ferment slows the temperature isn't as important as the flavors are already set but if you let it warm up the yeast seem to do a better job of cleanup. My brews seem to always end with a lower FG than predicted and I think this higher temperature is part of that. With all that said, keep it cool for about 4 to 5 days and then forget it.

Yep, I'd say current thinking would allow you to leave about anything on the cake for five or six weeks with only good things (certainly no bad things) happening. Maybe something with a tasty yeast which doesn't attenuate well so it would have lots of time to drop.

6 weeks is perfect for a Belgian. Control th e temps for a couple of days and then just let it go. So if you can do that then it would be a great choice.

Thank you for the advice guys. I don't know what I'm going to do not being able to brew for 6 weeks.

Don't brew an IPA or anything dependent on freshness. I would say almost any style would be fine left alone for 6 weeks, but I think you should brew something that six weeks will only improve. A big stout is my first thought, but the Belgian is a good option too. How many fermenters did you say you had?

I have two buckets and one better bottle. I'm thinking of taking my old mr beer fermenter with me to make beer with me not the road.

Back