Keggle welds....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_Roqk

Reaction score
I just picked these up from the welding shop. The guy that did it was a friend of a friend. He charged me a decent price of two fittings per keg, total two kegs. Here's my problem: I asked him to see if he could weld them from the inside so that I would have a nice seam and wouldn't have to worry about cleaning and such. But he explained to me that he didn't think he could be able to weld on the inside. Also he stated to me that his weld would seal the inside and I wouldn't need to worry about it. Well the pics tell a different story (atleast to me). I am worried now that there is a risk of corrosion to the joint from the inside. I feel as though I have been had. I'm not really sure what I should do at this point. Seems as though I'll have to take them to someone else and try to see if I can get them welded on the inside. Or, can I go ahead and use them like this? What a PITA!

Pics:

7956-Picture0172.jpg

7956-Picture0162.jpg

7956-Picture0152.jpg

7956-Picture0142.jpg

I see no Pics. But I would take them and at least have someone else look at them.

Cheers

Looks fine to me. Penetration is actually pretty minimal, but they appear solid enough. Welding from the inside would've been nicer, but there isn't any obvious crystallization, which is what leads to problems down the road.

Thanks Yuri!

I'm still concerned about whether or not if I can get them welded from the inside. I want to start brewing AG soon, and I don't want to have to worry about rust forming after I brew a few times. Also, if I do take them to someone else then I'll probably be charged double for what I payed this friend of a friend ($60 total). I mean it was a decent cheap deal for the welds. But I guess... "you get what you pay for"!

You got 2 guys that know what they're talking about that say it'll be fine. I wouldn't give it a second though if I were you. RDWHAHB :mug:

Yuri_Rage said:
...Welding from the inside would've been nicer, but there isn't any obvious crystallization, which is what leads to problems down the road.

I agree that they look fine. And.. I am in no way doubting their expertise.

My last post was a concern of whether or not if I should take the time to see if they can be welded on the inside.

As for RDWHAHB, I've been imbibing most of the day.

Cheers back at ya! :mug:

Welding on the inside is difficult and it is not needed. Even if there was some sugaring on the inside it wouldn't hurt anything since it is pre-fermentation.

Those welds look very good to me.

orfy said:
I can see some of the weld penetration from the back.
Yup, there is some...but if it was REALLY good, the inside of the weld would look very similar to the outside. That's a very tough task when welding metal of dissimilar thickness (and something I have trouble doing consistently when welding projects like keggles).

Again, the welds look sufficient, and I doubt you'll have any corrosion problems.

Yuri_Rage said:
Yup, there is some...but if it was REALLY good, the inside of the weld would look very similar to the outside. That's a very tough task when welding metal of dissimilar thickness (and something I have trouble doing consistently when welding projects like keggles).

Again, the welds look sufficient, and I doubt you'll have any corrosion problems.

Okay then! I'm satisfied! Thanks for the info and words of encouragement. I should be able to try them out very soon. Got my heart set on making EdWorts Haus Pale Ale. I'm also working on getting my Sanyo converted and this is what I want to make first. Also want to make Orfy's Hobgoblin AG recipe. All in due time. Thanks again gents!

Back