2.5gal batch w/ 1 white labs liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm brewing my first 2.5 gal batch of ipa at 6.7%. It's also my first time using a clear Carboy for primary. Day 1 I was amazing at how vicious the yeast was working. Day 2,3 the same. Day 4 today its really slowed down.

Will the extra yeast for a 2.5 gal mean it will ferment quicker than a 5gal?
My airlock hasn't had much action either but the foam grew about 4inches. Is that due to the head space? Thx guys

I used to do 2.5 gallon batches. I don't recall any noticeable difference in how quick it fermented vs. doing 5 gallon batches. Its not uncommon for your fermentation activity to start slowing down after only a few days, but even if you can't see anymore activity it doesn't mean that its not still doing something. The yeast also have to "clean up" after themselves once they are done munching on sugar.

Hey, I do 2.5 - 3.0 gallon all grain batches all the time... to answer your question your pitch rate honestly might still have been a bit low for a 2.5 gallon batch with a starting gravity of 1.067. I usually check mrmalty.com and they will calculate your pitch rates. Usually anything over 1.050 at the 2.5 gallon mark they "recommend" a starter. Anyways, three days sounds about normal for high krausen to pass... Check your hydrometer reading and monitor that way.. I'm sure you have heard before that this is the only true test of fermentation and its progress!

Yeh I know the reading is probably the best way to go....I'm just too afraid of taking too many readings and introducing an infection. What's the best way to take reading. Siphon out a small amount with sanitized tools? Should I be concerned with leaving the lid/cap off the fermenter for a few minutes. Thanks again...

bluenosebrewery said:
Yeh I know the reading is probably the best way to go....I'm just too afraid of taking too many readings and introducing an infection. What's the best way to take reading. Siphon out a small amount with sanitized tools? Should I be concerned with leaving the lid/cap off the fermenter for a few minutes. Thanks again...

I would be afraid of taking too many readings... its really easy to get ansy and want to know where your beer is at, but 90% of the time it seems like it turns out fine. According to Mrmalty you maybe should have pitched more for optimum, perfect conditions, but 1 smack pack/vial should be just fine. Unless your beer suddenly plummets to 40 degrees or something and you have a finicky yeast strain the yeast will finish fermenting the beer. I would let it go at least 2 but probably 3 weeks from brewday before taking a reading, if you can possible manage

I would agree with bottlebomber. If you witnessed a aggressive fermentation at the beginning let it sit for 3 weeks and take a few reading at that point.

As a new brewer you should take as many Hydro readings as you can along the way. Only because it is part of the learning experience. You look at, smell & taste the wort/beer and learn to match those clues with the readings you get. At some point after you have brewed for awhile you can pretty much judge what is going on without having to take any readings until you are done. My last beer got a hydro reading when put in the fermenter and then as it was going into the keg, I didn't have the slightest worry that it was not finished.

It's pretty hard to infect a beer thats already produced a lot of alcohol so don't stress over that point. Get yourself a wine thief and use that to draw samples or a turkey baster. Wash it well and then spray with StarSan or soak in Iodophor for a few minutes. After you take the readings, drink the sample.

Thanks everyone. Some really helpful stuff. This place is awesome for information and I really appreciate everyones willingness to make us all better brewers. Although I am struggling for consistency after 4-5 batches it's still early days. Thanks so much guys!!!

Latest posts

Back