fruit fly / gnat problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdean

Reaction score
I was told by a friend that knows a homebrewer that brews beer and wine that he has had problems with gnats and or fruit flys. He said brewing beer wasn't as bad as wine but still had problems with both. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this problem or if it was just the way this guy does things. I didn't see his his operation so I am not sure if he is messy or if this is a common problem.

lpdean said:
I was told by a friend that knows a homebrewer that brews beer and wine that he has had problems with gnats and or fruit flys. He said brewing beer wasn't as bad as wine but still had problems with both. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this problem or if it was just the way this guy does things. I didn't see his his operation so I am not sure if he is messy or if this is a common problem.

whats this have to do with labels???

Im not sure what the problem is but in the summer they do tend to hang around airlocks. They (fruit flys) are attracted to co2, either coming from rotting (fermenting) fruit or airlocks they dont care. The good thing is that they arent good swimmers so even if one were to somehow fall into your airlock it wouldnt cause no problems.

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/entfacts/struct/ef621.htm

Hers a good primer on the little buggers...

Back