Happy Birthday to me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAVET

Reaction score
I have the best SWMBO ever!
I have been trolling the forum for a long time learning everything I can and even asking a few questions.
Well my better, MUCH better half bought me a homebrew kit for my birthday and so now I have the dubious task of trying to figure out what to brew first! I don't want to start with extract since I did the Mr Beer thing about 8 years ago. I decided to brew a Partial Mash Amber Ale and need to get some opinions on if I am way off base.

4 Lbs 6 Row
.25 Lb Belgian Special B
.35 Lb Carafoam
.2 Lb Carared
4 Lbs Amber Extract
.25 Lb Belgian Candi Syrup

.75 Oz Brewers Gold @ 60
.5 Oz Crystal @ 15
.75 Oz Crystal @ 1

Safale US-05

The pot I currently have will boil 4 gallons, I'll just need to keep a close eye out for boil-over.

The pot I currently have will boil 4 gallons, I'll just need to keep a close eye out for boil-over.
When it looks like I'm getting ready to boil over I just slide the pot off the majority of the flame until it dies down then slide it back on again. You may have to repeat this 2-3 times, but eventually it'll come to a full boil without having to worry about a BO. ;)

Am I on my way to a decent first brew? I did some reading and tried to put together a decent first brew / recipe.

A fan blowing on the pot will help a lot, along with a spray bottle to punch it down.
But as always, you will need to watch it closely. All it will take is one boil over to have your better half re-thinking your new hobby.
Also, remember to clean up after yourself, stick floors etc tend to upset them for some reason. :)

She wasn't too sure about it until I told her how good it could be and how much cheaper it could be. Funny how the thought of saving money always works... Just one of one million reasons I am marrying her!!:rockin:

Hey good luckand happy brewing...no worse a boilover than a concentrated patial boil...just take it easy...not a bad idea to watch your temp, and when you get close, say 205, reduce the heat and go up slow.

not a bad idea to keep a glass of cold water or a spray bottle of fresh water handy to knock down the foam if boilover threatens.

go slow and enjoy the process.

I'll probably just keep the same spray bottle I use for my grill handy in the kitchen.
Now I just need to find someplace that carries everything I have in my recipe. I am finding that not everyplace carries everything. They carry some but not all. Might have to make some changes, we'll see. Regardless, I am really excited to brew my first batch. :ban:

Congrats on the great and thoughful gift of the brewing equipment. Yeah none of the vendors carry ALL of the supplies but there are some that carry the large majority. Good luck saving money with THIS hobby!

Back