Fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guiness

Reaction score
I put an amber ale in my primary a few days ago and the room temperature was around 70 degrees. Few days later we're having chilly weather and the room temp is down to 63 degrees. Not much action going on in the fermenter/air lock. I wonder if this is totally going to screw up my brew. I put a blanket around the fermenter hoping this might warm things up a bit, but the weather is something that's completely out of my control so I feel helpless. Is there anything I can do?

Was it showing good action before it slowed down? If it is a standard strength, it should be slowing down after a few days. The blanket is a good idea. Plus, fermentation generates a little heat itself. If it doesn't get any colder you're fine.

A slower, cooler ferment won't damage your ale. If you have a large cardboard box, put it over the fermenter and blanket. Also, if this is a glass carboy, you might want to put some cardboard under the fermenter to cut conductive losses.

Latest posts

Back