Late Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
As usual...I'm way too late again...here it is March 26th and I'm just today getting around to planting my tomatoes and peppers. :mad: I know Pumba and Cheyco have probably had theirs in the ground for a month already. Oh well, hopefully I'll get a little fruit before it gets too hot. :(

I was a few weeks late getting mine started indoors...I'll probably have to buy plants this year. At least I've got 3 weeks to get the beds ready!

The rhizome that BostonBrewin' gave me is sprouting, too...I'm going to have to put it in a pot until the frost danger passes.`

We had a heavy snow-fall warning last night. Need I say more?
SWMBO and I always by plants as our growing season even with raised beds is way too short, and we don't have the time (4year old and a 5 month old) to dick around with sprouting our own 'maters from seed inside. We've got a good place to grow them, we just need to do it quick!

I know Pumba and Cheyco have probably had theirs in the ground for a month already

You busting my balls now or something? ,,l,, >.< ,,l,,

I cant even get a shovel in the ground up here yet :p I'm trying to figure out if I want to pot my hops when they come in or stick them in the fridge cuz there aint no way I'm gonna be able to safely get them in the ground for about another month

I was going to plant earlier this year and we got snow in March. Everything is so trashed from the construction, I may not get anything in this year.

Pumbaa said:
... I'm trying to figure out if I want to pot my hops when they come in or stick them in the fridge...

When I got mine this time last year, I stuck them in a zip-lock bag with a damp paper towel and stuck them in the fridge. I planted them in late April and they did just fine. Looking forward to seeing how/if they improve this year!

my daughter and I planted tomatoes and herbs a couple of weeks ago (upstate South Carolina) thinking it was just the right time. Well, I got my hops rhizomes in on Saturday and went ahead and planted those then. Wouldn't you know it, end of March and we get two nights of frost???

I covered them all with sheet tents but I still think the tomatoes are goners, the basil too (cilantro looks like it may make it) . . . oh well, they were only a couple bucks each. . .

Last year I planted a hop rizhome and a huge herb garden plus peppers and tomatoes in early spring, then it rained for 30+ days and just about all of it rotted. Got a few peppers and a lot of Basil..

flhrpi said:
Last year I planted a hop rizhome and a huge herb garden plus peppers and tomatoes in early spring, then it rained for 30+ days and just about all of it rotted. Got a few peppers and a lot of Basil..

So are you trying hops again this year?? I'm curious about results in the Southeast.

ian said:
So are you trying hops again this year?? I'm curious about results in the Southeast.
I'm going to plant a rhizome this year that I got from BostonBrewin' (who, I should point out, actually lives here in NC). Apparently he's having pretty decent success with them.

ian said:

I haven't decided yet, probably not I getting ready to start a new job that is going to have me out of town most of the time with a good chance of moving next year.

Back