Tasmanian IPA (Schlafly Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a clone version of Schlafly's T-IPA brew. I tried the other day and was kind of blown away by it; which made me want to give a go at a clone. It is not incredibly hoppy which makes it very drinkable, IMHO. Since the beers are seasonal, and seem to be limited due to seasons in the US, I decided to make an attempt at creating this clone version. Please take a look and let me know if I should make any modifications/corrections. I finally had the time and a break in the weather, and I brewed this last night (3/29/14)...

This is a complete overhaul of the previous recipe I created. Based on feedback, here is the modified Schlafly T-IPA recipe.

Specifics for Schlafly's Tasmanian IPA can be found on their website:
http://schlafly.com/beers/styles/tasmanian-ipa/

Grain Bill:

14 LBS --- Pale 2-Row Barley

.5 OZ --- Galaxy hops @ 60Min
1 OZ --- Galaxy hops @ 30Min
1 OZ --- Galaxy hops @ 10Min
.5 OZ --- Galaxy hops at flameout (hopstand until wort chiller completed its work)

2 OZ --- Galaxy hops (dry hopped 7 days in Secondary)

White Labs - California V (WLP-051) (Comparable to Wyeast 1272 - American Ale Yeast II)

Single infusion mash:
I will be using a 1.3 qt/lb mash thickness
Sacch' rest @ 152 for 60Min
Mashout @ 170 for 30Min

I am also a big fan of this beer. And of Galaxy hops in general. It is a pretty sessionable beer but, to me, the flavor is pretty in your face tropical fruit. I would say increase the late hops to maybe a full ounce for each addition and move the 30 up to 15. Their website lists the malt as 'pale'. I would guess they just use US 2-row exclusively. It is a pretty light beer.
Can't wait to hear how this turns out. Happy Brewing!

Interested to see how this turns out. This is one of my favorite beers they make. I drank my last one yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't use crystal. It's almost straw color.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Headbanger told me that galaxy impart the sweetness (or that it was possible) I am curious. Website says smash.

I made a clone of this last summer. Nothing but 2-row and galaxy hops. Their house yeast is wyeast 1272. For a 5.5 gallon batch:
13.75 lbs 2-row
.66 oz Galaxy 60 min
1.25 oz Galaxy 20 min
1.5 Galaxy 10 min
2.25 oz Galaxy flame out for 20 min hop steep at 165F
3 oz Galaxy dry hop

I mashed at 152F
OG 1.066
FG 1.010

If I make it again I might mash a little higher, but it was nice and dry. I would move more of the hops to flame out to get a bigger aroma and flavor. And maybe a another ounce in dry hops. I think Schlafly does something with a recirculating randall type thing to get the amazing aroma and flavor from the dry hops and that is the key to this beer.

If I were to increase the hop additions in the boil I would be outside of the IBU range of 60. You could play around with the dry hopping to get additional Galaxy notes without the IBUs, but they didn't seem that intense to me when I sampled the beer. Using specifically 2-row pale would never give you an SRM of 5.0, I threw in the additional caramel 15L for color. The lovibond of 2-row is only about 1.8. However, since crystal malt can be made from any base malt; they wouldn't exactly be leading anyone on to say that it is a single malt brew, as long as they did the process of converting in house; and one base and one specialty is not outside of the scope (because it's still the minimalist approach when only using the specialty malt for color only). But, I am by no means a SmaSh brewer.

If I were to increase the hop additions in the boil I would be outside of the IBU range of 60. You could play around with the dry hopping to get additional Galaxy notes without the IBUs, but they didn't seem that intense to me when I sampled the beer. Using specifically 2-row pale would never give you an SRM of 5.0, I threw in the additional caramel 15L for color. The lovibond of 2-row is only about 1.8. However, since crystal malt can be made from any base malt; they wouldn't exactly be leading anyone on to say that it is a single malt brew, as long as they did the process of converting in house; and one base and one specialty is not outside of the scope (because it's still the minimalist approach when only using the specialty malt for color only). But, I am by no means a SmaSh brewer.

T-IPA is most definitely brewed with only 2-row. They have no reason to be dishonest about the grain bill. The beer is a special release that is intended to highlight Galaxy, so they designed it with no crystal malts. You can definitely get an SRM of 5 using strictly 2-row. Beer color is a function of the grain color AND concentration. If you made a 5 gallon batch with 20 lb of only 2-row and another with 10 lb of only 2-row they would not be the same color. The 20lb batch would definitely be darker.

T-IPA is most definitely brewed with only 2-row. They have no reason to be dishonest about the grain bill. The beer is a special release that is intended to highlight Galaxy, so they designed it with no crystal malts. You can definitely get an SRM of 5 using strictly 2-row. Beer color is a function of the grain color AND concentration. If you made a 5 gallon batch with 20 lb of only 2-row and another with 10 lb of only 2-row they would not be the same color. The 20lb batch would definitely be darker.

I wasnt trying to assert that they were being dishonest. I am simply trying to point out that to get to that point your grain bill, using only 2-row, would be too high for this beer. They shoot for 7.2% ABV. You could use 16.5LB of 2-row to get to 5 SRM, but you are nearly to 9% ABV at that point. I am trying to keep it simple and reach all the numbers on their website with as little headache as possible.

I wasnt trying to assert that they were being dishonest. I am simply trying to point out that to get to that point your grain bill, using only 2-row, would be too high for this beer. They shoot for 7.2% ABV. You could use 16.5LB of 2-row to get to 5 SRM, but you are nearly to 9% ABV at that point. I am trying to keep it simple and reach all the numbers on their website with as little headache as possible.

Understood. But, the recipe I posted above matches up perfectly with the numbers on Schlafly's website. My recipe calculator(QBrew) gives an SRM of 5 for 13.75 lb 2-row(1.8 Lovibond) in a 5.5 gallon batch. This yielded a 1.066 OG, and then fermented to 1.010. That gives an ABV of 7.2%.

I brewed the following recipe a couple months back and it turned out incredible.

US 2-row 14#

Mashed @ 156 for 60min

Galaxy 0.6oz @ 60min
Galaxy 1oz @ 15min
Galaxy 1oz @ 5min
Galaxy 1oz @ 30min hop stand after boil
Galaxy 1oz @ 20min hop stand after boil
Galaxy 2oz @ dry hop 7 days

WLP051 ferment in mid 60s

OG: 1.070
FG: 1.015

Do NOT use crystal malt for this recipe. The key is to mash a little higher in order to end w/ an FG in the mid-high teens. Also, the Galaxy hops will give the perceived sweetness. You will achieve the correct color with just 2-row. See the side-by-side pics below. Can you tell the difference...

20131230_204752.jpg

Per Schlafly's website the Brix OG is 17.5, which converted to specific gravity is 1.072. In order to achieve the stated ABV of 7.2%, the FG would need to be 1.017-1.018.

Based on the feedback and further research I am changing the recipe a little. To stick to the SmaSh ideals, I will be using strictly 2-row and WLP-051 (which is comparable to 1272). My LHBS does not carry Wyeast products :( Still not sure about the hop additions, but I like the original additions I have in the first posting.

:confused: Has anyone done FWH? Did you notice a significant difference or advantage? Would it work well with this IPA, or are the Galaxy hop Alpha's too high?

Update: It has been too cold and snowy the past few weeks (I live in the DC area) to brew anything new. We have a break from the cold in a few days, and I hope to brew then.

Last night (3/29/14), I finally got around to brewing this recipe. After a long vacation back to my home state and various weather delays, I am finally able to say that this is in the Primary and bubbling away. I have updated the recipe on the main post, based on feedback provided by all of you wonderful home brewers.

In 1 week I will move over to Secondary and do my dry hopping additions.

I followed the Bru N' Water spreadsheet to make adjustments for a (Yellow Bitter) water profile. However, this is completely optional. I also used a 1L starter.

I kegged up the brew tonight. Still smells great; I also tasted the sample from the gravity reading and am impressed. I have it in my keezer now chilling down. Then I will add some gelatin to help clear it our, still a little cloudy from the dry hopping.

Had my first glass yesterday, but it needed another day in the keg. Turned out great, but not as 'great' as I expected. Definitely a good base to work off of. My ABV came out to about 6.7, so I need to work on my efficiency with this one, even with a final gravity of 1.012. The gelatin didn't clear it out as much as I had hoped, either.

The 'Total Wine' near me was all sold out of the Schlafly T-IPA, so I don't have a bottle to compare to; hard to find out here in VA. The fruitiness and citrus aromas are there and the bitterness is subtle like I remember. Not overly hoppy like some IPA's I have had. Wife loved it. With a little tweaking I think I can get it closer.

I hope this helps those who want to make a clone of this great beer. Cheers!!

20140422_005340.jpg

20140422_002714.jpg

Thanks for the update. Hope you tweak it to perfection! Then share how of course! Thanks

I brewed this about a month ago and have been enjoying it thoroughly. I did alter the hop additions, bringing the 30 minute addition up to 10 minutes and the 10 minute addition up to 5 minutes. I think this helped boost the flavor and aroma of the Galaxy hops.

I ended up running out of room in my FC so I fermented this beer in my basement which has a room temp of about 68°. Fermentation temp probably rose to close to 76-78 at peak, which I was a bit worried about. This beer never cleared up for me. I waited 3 weeks (2 week primary, 1 week secondary w/dry hop) to keg and it basically looked like orange juice when I did. Even now, a full week and a half in the keg has not improved the clarity.

I also noticed a distinct fusel/hot taste during the first 3-4 days after carbing, likely due to the higher fermentation temp. That flavor subsided quickly though, and since then it's tasted fantastic.

I brewed a 10 gallon batch, so I have another 5 gallon keg that I suspect will keep this beer on tap for at least another 2 weeks. I'm curious to see if it clears up at all.

Overall I'd highly recommend this recipe, with my aroma hop addition tweaks. :D

Ted

Here's what the beer has looked like since kegging. This was a picture during the first week, so it's cleared up a little bit more, but not much.

20160831_195800.jpg

Finally got my hand on 13oz of galaxy!!

Based on this clone recipe, here is what I'm planning to brew this Sunday if the galaxy is delivered right on time.

There is just one thing (maybe you can help me there) is that I don't want to use the galaxy for the bittering hops. I have Nugget,Warrior and Columbus in stock here. I also want it dry and clear (Mash at 150), galaxy fruity bomb (9oz of galaxy) so I tought that only adding 0.5oz @ 60min of Nugget would not really interfere with the flavor/aroma of the galaxy since I am adding a lot of galaxy. (I'm not afraid of hops bomb)

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-04
Batch Size (Gallons): 6.25
Original Gravity: 1.061
EST Final Gravity: 1.014
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90

14lbs 2-row (US)

0.50oz Nugget (60 minutes)
1.50 Galaxy (10 minutes)
1.50 Galaxy (5 minutes)
1.50 Galaxy (0 minutes)
1.50 Galaxy (chill to 170, and wait 20 minutes)
3.00oz Galaxy (Dry Hop @ day 14 for 7 days)

Mash @ 150F
Fermentation Temp @ 62F for 2 weeks and @68F for 1 week.
Cold crash then keg after 3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back