My Knotty Pine Smoker Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnstormer

Reaction score
Here is my new smoker I just finished. It is done in knotty pine tongue and groove car siding. I cant wait to give it a run!

001.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

That looks great! Can you give specifics about the size and type of burner? I want to build one but the size will depend on what can be smoked in it.

Either you have a trade in woodworking or your that damn good.

Looks awesome!! How much did it cost all said and done? Love that chimney

Also are you using a propane camping stove as your element?

Thanks for the kudos! I'm not a professional though, I just do it for fun.

It's about 36" tall and about 21"x18" inside. I still have a few kinks to work out of it. I started with a small 2 burner camp stove for the burner. Well, to get the little propane line to the bottle I had to drill a small hole in the back but that meant that the stove was up against the back of the cabinet instead of in the center. Well guess what, it started on fire. I got it out and no real damage so I swapped it out with a 2 burner electric hot plate, 1650 watts total. I was only able to get it up to about 200 degrees, not quite hot enough. After taking out the water pan and almost closing both the intake and exhaust dampers it got up to about 225. That's pretty good but for some things, I may want it a little hotter. I am toying with the idea of a small charcoal pan in the bottom or maybe a little single burner camp stove. I was also thinking of putting some insulation in it but I don't really want to do that, I'd like to keep it natural wood. I'll keep posting the changes as I make them.

You could buy a replacement oven heating element, and add a temperature controller. That should get you the heat you need.

Thanks for the kudos! I'm not a professional though, I just do it for fun.

It's about 36" tall and about 21"x18" inside. I still have a few kinks to work out of it. I started with a small 2 burner camp stove for the burner. Well, to get the little propane line to the bottle I had to drill a small hole in the back but that meant that the stove was up against the back of the cabinet instead of in the center. Well guess what, it started on fire. I got it out and no real damage so I swapped it out with a 2 burner electric hot plate, 1650 watts total. I was only able to get it up to about 200 degrees, not quite hot enough. After taking out the water pan and almost closing both the intake and exhaust dampers it got up to about 225. That's pretty good but for some things, I may want it a little hotter. I am toying with the idea of a small charcoal pan in the bottom or maybe a little single burner camp stove. I was also thinking of putting some insulation in it but I don't really want to do that, I'd like to keep it natural wood. I'll keep posting the changes as I make them.

I believe there is a hose adapter that connects to a 20 pound cylinder on one end and has the threads of a 1 pound can on the other, and are at least 4 feet long. I believe this might solve you problem. Wal mart has a 5 foot version for $15.00.

Back