Cider with preservatives??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveVanO

Reaction score
I recently went to the store, picked up a gallon of apple cider. I know usually most of you use apple juice for a hard cider. BUT I wanted to change it up
I didnt notice it until i got home, but the apple cider i picked up contains preservatives. Anyway i can use something to rid of the preservatives? or should i just go try to find some without preservatives. Just wondering if there is anything I can do

The general answer is no, try and find something without preservatives. It'll probably end up being more trouble than it is worth to successfully ferment it.

alright thanks for the quick answer. Gonna need to go tomorrow and just buy some juice or find a cider with no preservatives...which most likely wont happen because there isnt a place like that around where im at. Thanks

If you have no other option for preservative free cider, I have heard of people making really big yeast starters for the fermentation.
The preservatives don't "kill" the yeast as such, apparently they only inhibit their ability to reproduce. So perhaps a strong starter may get you on your way?

When you say preservatives, which ones are you referring to specifically?

I use commercial products often and they typically have sulfite and sorbate and sometimes ascorbic acid--no issue establishing a ferment with those additives on board simply because they are at low levels and added to keep the product from fermenting on its own--but add a yeast and you are fine.
But if there is sodium benzoate on board I will not buy it.

Benzoate is really bad news and should be banned as a food additive.

OP, there is no way to get rid of the preservatives, but some folks have had success fermenting treated juice with really big yeast starters or by racking it onto an existing yeast cake.

Producers use a huge range of concentrations of preservatives, from so low as to be ineffectual to so high they cross established USFDA regulations.

well it had potassium sorbate, and sodium benzoate...decided to just let every1 in the house drink it up and not worry about it

Back