Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subscribed. Can you recommend a good commercial red to try? Not blown away by Smithwicks and figured Sam Adams was a waste of money.

I brewed this about a month ago. I find the color of this to be great, but to me it's very limited in terms of malt profile. I did 10 gallons and split into two fermentations, one with irish ale yeast and one with us-05.

The US-05 is clean and more dry than the Irish. The irish has a different flavor profile and is a bit more complex.

Thanks a lot for the recipe. I'm thinking mine still needs a bit more time to age, but so far I'm not wild about this one. It's okay, but just not especially interesting or refreshing. Seems almost a bit too dry with the california ale yeast. Not enough malt character for me to deal with the dryness.

Interesting recipe, though.

Dgonza9 said:
I brewed this about a month ago. I find the color of this to be great, but to me it's very limited in terms of malt profile. I did 10 gallons and split into two fermentations, one with irish ale yeast and one with us-05.

The US-05 is clean and more dry than the Irish. The irish has a different flavor profile and is a bit more complex.

Thanks a lot for the recipe. I'm thinking mine still needs a bit more time to age, but so far I'm not wild about this one. It's okay, but just not especially interesting or refreshing. Seems almost a bit too dry with the california ale yeast. Not enough malt character for me to deal with the dryness.

Interesting recipe, though.

Hi.

Replace the base with Maris Otter if you are looking for a more malty profile. Also, you could mash around 155 - 160.

Cheers!

I brewed this a few weeks ago and hit the numbers exact, what do you guys think of the aroma, I keep getting something unpleasant like wet dog....

I entered this in the 2011 Peach State Brew Off taking 1st place. Thhis has a DEEEEEP red color and is big on the malt flavor. Enjoy

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
————
Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) (add at flame out)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

What was the exact catagory you entered this under? 9D right?

kevin476 said:
I brewed this a few weeks ago and hit the numbers exact, what do you guys think of the aroma, I keep getting something unpleasant like wet dog....

Mine smelled amazing. Sorry for your loss.

Hello, im new 2 this I luv killians and tried a clone but much 2 hoppy. is this the recipe 2 try or should I keep looking?

Barleyman said:
Hello, im new 2 this I luv killians and tried a clone but much 2 hoppy. is this the recipe 2 try or should I keep looking?

Why not try the same recipe again with 1/3 less hops? This recipe is better than a Killians clone if you ask me, and I do recommend you try it, but I recommend you take ownership of your brew and make beer with the level of hops you want. Brewtarget is a good tool for estimating results before you brew, and also for matching your results and your impressions of them to concrete numbers.

Here's my attempt.

svxwtwgy.dva.jpg

This one has quite a malty taste. Very nice :)

would irish moss be a good call or is there a better solution 2 clear it or should I not clear it? Could I make this as a lager? (What changes)

Did a WLP-028 and Wyeast-1028 comparison. The WLP-028 65% atten, very slight citrus nose. Great balance between bitterness to malt (I like it on the malty sweet side), finish is a bit dry which is odd for a 153 degree mash, big thumbs up for being 1 week in the bottle. Wyeast-1028 had 73% attenuation, more hot alcohol taste (was due to the warmer fermentation temps I think, 71 degrees), taste was a bit sharp and bitter and dry. Liked the WLP-028 much better. Could use a bit more hop aroma and higher mash temp to make it less dry. Nice color, maybe another 2 to 3 weeks in the bottle will make it clearer....... if it lasts that long:mug:

Did a WLP-028 and Wyeast-1028 comparison. The WLP-028 65% atten, very slight citrus nose. Great balance between bitterness to malt (I like it on the malty sweet side), finish is a bit dry which is odd for a 153 degree mash, big thumbs up for being 1 week in the bottle. Wyeast-1028 had 73% attenuation, more hot alcohol taste (was due to the warmer fermentation temps I think, 71 degrees), taste was a bit sharp and bitter and dry. Liked the WLP-028 much better. Could use a bit more hop aroma and higher mash temp to make it less dry. Nice color, maybe another 2 to 3 weeks in the bottle will make it clearer....... if it lasts that long:mug:

glad you liked it! as far as more hop aroma, true to the style it has little to no hop aroma on purpose. That said I have dry hopped this beer and the results were fantastic.

The hot alcohol flavor in the 1028 beer is from the high temps. it "might" fade with age but the best thing to do is control the temps and keep it in the mid-upper 60's.

Really enjoyed this brew! Couldn't find caraaroma; subbed .5 lb each crystal 120 & special B; not quite as red as I'd hoped. Very tasty. Friends all loved it! Will definitely be brewing this on a regular basis.

Really enjoyed this brew! Couldn't find caraaroma; subbed .5 lb each crystal 120 & special B; not quite as red as I'd hoped. Very tasty. Friends all loved it! Will definitely be brewing this on a regular basis.

you can order the caraaroma from Brewmasterswarehouse.com they have good prices and flat rate shipping. .

Just brewed this last night, very excited. The hydrometer sample isn't that red, more of a light brown. Is it possible it will redden up, or is this probably what its going to stay at?

If so that's fine, as long as it still tastes delicious, but I loved those bright red pic's others posted.

Just brewed this last night, very excited. The hydrometer sample isn't that red, more of a light brown. Is it possible it will redden up, or is this probably what its going to stay at?

If so that's fine, as long as it still tastes delicious, but I loved those bright red pic's others posted.

get some light behind it and you'll see the red

Looks like an awesome recipe. I've been looking for a real malty irish red. I'm thinking about doing this and maybe pulling a gallon into a separate fermenter and putting it onto some oak chips. Probably will wind up taking out the honey, idk yet

:mug:

Looks like an awesome recipe. I've been looking for a real malty irish red. I'm thinking about doing this and maybe pulling a gallon into a separate fermenter and putting it onto some oak chips. Probably will wind up taking out the honey, idk yet

:mug:

if you take the honey out it'll still be a great Red... just a bit lower in alcohol.

Hey mystic I brewed this on sunday. ill let u no how it compares to the wifes red witch is awesome. i have high expectations. get back 2 u in 5 weeks 4 days. thanks 4 all the help. If by chance u have a good sweet honey mead recipe give me a shout if u have time. Thanks again.

Hey mystic I brewed this on sunday. ill let u no how it compares to the wifes red witch is awesome. i have high expectations. get back 2 u in 5 weeks 4 days. thanks 4 all the help. If by chance u have a good sweet honey mead recipe give me a shout if u have time. Thanks again.

great to hear! looking forward to the results...

Mead... do I have mead recipes.... a basic mead recipe is simple. 15lbs of honey, yeast nutrient, and whitelabs sweet mead yeast. That'll get you to about 15% with enough residual honey to give a semi-sweet mead.

Doing this this week, with a few substitutions based on what I have on hand (acquired 25 lbs. of free Rahr 2-row) and what I could get from Homebrew Heaven. Quite excited.

Back