Chest Freezer Conversion/Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicholschris

Reaction score
I would like to get a kegging setup and convert a freezer for cooling.

Some questions-

1. I'm looking at the Johnson Controls A419 for temp control. The cord for the probe looks to be a little on the large side. Will I have to drill a hole for this? Or will in be able to fit through the door allowing it to seal properly?

2. As I'm new to kegging as well... I'm looking at basic kit from Northern Brewer or morebeer.com. These both come with picnic style faucets. From what I can gather these will dispense fine with 5 foot of 3/16 hose. Does that seem to be the case? Any problems using this setup inside of a chest freezer?

3. I'd really love to do a fermentation/keg cooling combo. Any easy way to do that? 40 degrees serving temp is going to be way too cold to ferment an ale. I'm guessing it would be better to get a separate freezer of frig to do this. Correct?

Any other recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

I have a different Johnson Controls unit with a nice thin capillary wire to the probe, it just goes under the seal. On that one you're looking at, you'll probably need a hole, or to collar your freezer.

Do you see a strong need for digital displays and stuff? Cuz the $45 basic Johnson Controls unit I have works great.

I would go with more than 5 feet. I have 6 feet of beer line and I get too hard of a pour at my carbonation psi...and its no fun to have to dial down and vent every night to pour a beer. I plan to put 8 feet on when I change my lines in the future.

most people use a keezer for lagers, not ales (unless they are stuck in the desert)

I'm not opposed to the analog Johnson control if it's going to do the job. I guess I just used the assumption that I don't know what I need and more expensive is better. What are the pros and cons to digital v. analog?

nicer display with the digital, and maybe the probe is more forgiving of wear and tear.

I know with my analog, I set it at 44F, and that's that. it holds a steady temp. I didn't collar my freezer, since it was a grand experiment in kegging and what not.

Back