Welch's White + fruit (and other questions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModlrMike

Reaction score
Hey gang...

I just finished making a batch of Welch's white with EC-1118 as the yeast, which turned out great. I'm curious to know that if I used two cans of concentrate with some fruit and water, how much fruit would I need per 1 gallon batch? Would two cans be too much? I'm interested in plum, peach, or black currant to start. I can get plums and peaches at the supermarket in the summer, and there's some berry farms nearby that have the currants.

Second question... would a similar approach using jam be possible? If I used 500gm (~ 1lb) of jam per gallon would that work?

Finally, is there any real difference between the oak you buy at the wine store and the oak you buy at the lumber yard... other than the outrageous price difference? Could you use lumber yard oak?

The jam may cause a pectin problem. You may over come it with extra enzyme. Also I wouldn't trust the lumber yard oak. I kinda doubt it is as "clean" as the homebrew store oak. I realize this is a month late. Hopefully you haven't made formaldehyde blackbery jam wine.

Hey gang...

I just finished making a batch of Welch's white with EC-1118 as the yeast, which turned out great. I'm curious to know that if I used two cans of concentrate with some fruit and water, how much fruit would I need per 1 gallon batch? Would two cans be too much? I'm interested in plum, peach, or black currant to start. I can get plums and peaches at the supermarket in the summer, and there's some berry farms nearby that have the currants.

Second question... would a similar approach using jam be possible? If I used 500gm (~ 1lb) of jam per gallon would that work?

Finally, is there any real difference between the oak you buy at the wine store and the oak you buy at the lumber yard... other than the outrageous price difference? Could you use lumber yard oak?

Good to see a fellow prairie man here! :mug:
I'm planning on a white wine with Wellch's as well. Could you post your recipe here please? Thanks from S'toon :drunk:

In reference to the oak question, there's a HUGE difference. The oak from the lhbs has been toasted. You can toast your own but your results are going to vary widely.

Hey gang...

You want to use at least 5lb of fruit per gallon to really get the fruit flavor

The oak at the lumber yard is moist and the oak for wine is dried and cured and made for wine...

dry it out, throw it on a fire for bit, boil it, and put it in your wine...

Back