Initial Force Carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeHoppy

Reaction score
I usually pressurize my 5 gal cornies for 3 days at 30 PSI before hooking them up to the kegerator at 9 PSI for dispensing. Is there a more scientific way to initially carbonate the brew?

Yes, the set it and forget it method. Set it to your serving pressure and forget it for a week. The results will be the same every time, but it does require patience.

Also, check out this website on Draft System Line Balancing.

Yeah, get it chilled, set it at 12 psi and forget it for at least a week. Nice, slow, & steady. Works great!

Have to agree with the set it and wait method, but I'm very new to this. I kegged my first two about a week ago. Tried to rush one by using the high pressure with a bit of shaking method. After many attempts to bleed off the pressure, I am still getting tons of foam with every pour. With the second keg, I set it at 10 lbs and left it. It's now nicely carbonated with lots of tiny bubbles.

Question: Does the set it and forget it method count as one week of conditioning? For example, if I usually keep my beer in the secondary for two weeks, can I keep in the carboy for one week and then transfer it to the keg and carbonate it for a week, and call that two weeks of conditioning?

well, the secondary is really to get the yeast to fall out of suspension for a clearer beer.
but aging is also happening at that point.

so technically, yet it counts. if you had a really flocculent yeast, a week in secondary might be clear enough. less flocculent, you might secondary 3-6 weeks.

when kegging its hard to be patient since you can force carb green beer in an hour once its chilled, instead of 7 days in the bottle :)

EdWort said:
Yeah, get it chilled, set it at 12 psi and forget it for at least a week. Nice, slow, & steady. Works great!
What temp do you chill at before you gas it???

For about 2.5 volumes of CO2, I set my regulator to 20 psi and set the room/cellar temperature kegs in the 40 degree fridge. After two days, I dial the regulator back to 10 psi and wait another day or two for everything to normalize.

Back