brewing outside in the sun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
is it ok to brew outside in the sunlight, or will it skunk my beer just like it will in the bottles? thanks

It's just fine, that's one of the reasons I like brewing so much. Because I can do it outside in the open air.

Either way, it would take much longer than the 3 hours or so your beer would be outside.

Not so.
The basic brewing radio guys did a thing where they left a bottle of hoppy pale Ale, I think SNPA just for like 30 minutes, and could detect skunkiness.

Really, I'm suprised by that. In a glass or brown bottle? I'll have to download that podcast.

I agree with what others have said with having the brewing process outside.
Some of us that use propane burners brew outside for just that reason. Some shade might be nice down there in Sunny Florida.
I took a day off from fishing the Maumee River today to hang out in the sun rototill the garden and BREW BEER. :rockin:
While I'm here I should look up a recipe that would go good with Walleye.:ban:

:off:
Thanks for the tip IrregularPulse. I have a lager going that I intentionally plan on skunking just a little . . . Green bottles and Sunlight. :eek:

Really, I'm suprised by that. In a glass or brown bottle? I'll have to download that podcast.

They did tests with both. In the glass, it was undrinkable really after 30 minutes or whatever the time frame was. In the brown bottle, not nearly as bad, but detectable. IIRC*

*disclaimer. It's been a while since I've seen it. I may not remember 100%:D*

Won't skunk until you have yeast involved. Riboflavin is a catalyst to the reaction that causes skunking.

There should be plenty of riboflavin in the grain kernels, though I'm not sure of the solubility (i.e. how much would come out in the boil). Edit: lots and lots of riboflavin in the hops too.

Just listened to a podcast on BBR, it appears that hops/light play the major role in skunking.

Right it's the light interacting with iso-alpha acids, but it also has to do with the yeast.

The light is absorbed by riboflavin (in the right wavelength range) and transferred to the iso-alpha acids, which then react with sulfer compounds.

Brewing chemists attribute skunky flavor to 3-methylbut-2-ene-1-thiol, a constituent of skunk spray. This compound arises from a reaction that light triggers within the beer, and the resulting taste can overwhelm other flavors.

"Humans are very sensitive to this compound," says Denis De Keukeleire of Ghent University in Belgium. 3-methylbut-2-ene-1-thiol is detectable in quantities as small as 0.004 micrograms ([micro]g) per liter. This amount can form in minutes when beer is exposed to bright sunlight, he says.

Riboflavin, a compound produced by yeast during fermentation, absorbs energy from light at wavelengths of 350 to 500 nanometers (nm). It transfers the energy to iso-alpha acids, the compounds that give beer bitterness. They then release free radicals--small, unstable chemical fragments--that react with sulfur compounds produced by the yeast. The result is the offending thiol.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/A+sku...g+beer's+fouler+flavors.(Cover...-a0140143993

I don't see riboflavin in the list for Barley, no info on the hops.

http://www.diet-data.com/cereal,_grains,_pasta/barley/

riboflavin
or vitamin B2

Yellow, water-soluble organic compound, abundant in whey and egg white. It has a complex structure incorporating three rings. Green plants and most microorganisms can synthesize it; animals need to acquire it in their diet. It exists in combined forms as coenzymes and functions in the metabolism of carbohydrates and amino acids. A syndrome resembling pellagra is thought to result from riboflavin deficiency. See also flavin.

I know I have spent close to an hour drinking a beer outside in the sun, with no taste changes. I find the 30 minute skunk test to be kind of unbelievable.

The result is the offending thiol.

The Offending Thiols was my favorite 80s Post punk angst band.

I know I have spent close to an hour drinking a beer outside in the sun, with no taste changes. I find the 30 minute skunk test to be kind of unbelievable.

Some of the macros add an anti-skinking agent. Miller is renouned for this.

Same here, in a glass no less. The beer was fine except for getting a little on the warm side, I have a hard time believing the claim.

Some of the macros add an anti-skinking agent. Miller is renouned for this.

I pretty much don't drinks macros, at least not by choice, so that doesn't explain it in my experience.

I have personally done this test myself and it took less than 30 minutes in full sun for me to detect skunkiness. I took a gravity sample before kegging and left the sample in the test tube to degass while I sanitized the keg. The taste from the tune was noticeably skunked, while the taste test I took right after drawing the sample was very clean.

This was a Centennial Blonde.

I don't see riboflavin in the list for Barley, no info on the hops.

http://www.diet-data.com/cereal,_grains,_pasta/barley/

riboflavin
or vitamin B2

In the reaction, riboflavin is acting as a catalyst, so it's not consumed, based on your post. So, FDA reportable/nutrient levels are not at all necessary- just a trace amount would be required since one riboflavin can transfer the energy 1000 times.

Since riboflavin is a necessary component of FAD, an essential co-factor in metabolism, DNA repair, etc, and thus will be present in all cells at some level. Put simply, the barley kernel cells wouldn't be able to survive without it. Same for the hops

Still don't know what percentage present in the grain would transfer to the wort, though.

I haven't done any scientific studies on it. But I have brewed out in the sun without affect and I also have had skunked beer due to the sun. I posted the article that says you need yeast before you can skunk beer/ (well wort at that point).

Nothing like making me nervous about my first batch even more. I did the entire boil/cool down out at the end of my patio in the afternoon Florida sun. Need some beer now.

the only problem I have with brewing in the sun is I get sun burn very easily due to the meds I am on . I use a one of those EZ Ups in the driveway

Back