How long can I wait to wash yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobrew

Reaction score
I'm going to bottle tonight and want to wash the yeast. I will not have time to wash it tonight. After I rack into the bottle bucket can I put the lid back on the primary and wash the yeast tomorow?
Thanks
ToBrew

I would leave some liquid on the yeast to let it sit overnight, don't drain every last ounce

I've cheated a few times, and bottled the yeast cake into several bombers, then stored them in the beer fridge. You'll often end up with highly carbonated yeast that way, so watch out for gushers when you open the bottles.

My last brewday, I cracked open a five month old bottle of Pacman yeastcake, washed it in a growler, and pitched the washed yeast directly into a 2l starter on the stirplate. Two days later, I crash cooled, decanted, and pitched a nice batch of yeast. The cream ale I pitched it in was fermenting merrily the next morning.

It's probably not a good idea to do this for too long with an individual strain of yeast, though, as I'm sure it's stressful to the yeast. Nevertheless, it worked. YMMV and all that.

Back