Where to buy "stubby" beer bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechyDork

Dork of all Tech
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been searching on line and have not had much luck finding stubby beer bottles, like Red Stripe bottles. I want to use them to bottle my hard lemonade and future ciders and such. does anyone have any idea where i could buy these? or can i just buy red stripe and use my bench capper to cap them, i am thinking they are twist off? i was under the impression that i could not use twist off bottles to recap?:cross:

any imput will be most appreciated,

thank you,

SNB

Stock up on Sierra Nevada products, empty, cap. Love 'em. :)
I believe you can cap threaded bottles with a bench capper, but I'd check on that.

A bench capper should allow you to re-cap the bottles even if they're twist-off. However, a photo I'm looking at over on wikipedia sure looks like it's a pry-off cap, which will make it even easier for you!

a great source for these that are pry off caps is Duvel. The bottles are great reusable bottles. They are thicker than the American ones and they look cool! Just think of the fun you would have "stocking up " on them!

John

I like to use green bottles for my non-hopped brews (lemonade, apfelwein, etc) and my favorite is Heinekin. They are kind of stubby, nothhing is stamped on the bottle, and they are green, so it's easy to tell the difference when you're buzzed and going to the beer closet for another :drunk: Now that I think of it, Mickeys bottles would be great if you could find a replacement screw off cap (and didn't have to drink the beer inside)

However, I know of nobody that sells bottles similar to Red Stripe, at least not without beer in them.

I picked up 7 dozen old school stubbies off of craigslist (circa 1974, one box still had a receipt, another box was still full!) These were before twist-off so I take good care of them.

I'm fairly sure Brick Breweries in Ontario still uses twist cap stubbies on their Red Cap Ale, but I don't know if that helps you up in Alaska

How are you getting the label and adhesive off? They're both petroleum based, IIRC.

They are referring to silk printed labels (painted labels like Red Stripe or Stone bottles). If you are removing this with starsan I hear works, but even cheaper; CLR (Calcium Lime Rust) works wonders. 20-30 mins in that and the painted label wipes right off with a paper towel.

If you have paper and adhesive labels, use oxi-clean overnight, labels fall right off of most beer bottles with minor scrubbing. Odells (Colorado Brew) labels fall off before I can take the bottle out of the water and there is ZERO residue.

HTH,
Lorne

sierra nevada and anchor steam bottles have the right form factor but are notorious for breaking while capping.

Be careful about re-using some of these bottles. Some are twist-offs. And some breweries, like Summit Brewing and Founders, both use stubbier bottles that do not fit with the typical bottle caps you buy at homebrew stores when used in conjunction with cappers like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/red-baron-emily-capper.html - Before saving, peeling, and cleaning 50+ bottles, I advise that you TEST CAP one bottle before proceeding.

I've capped Red Stripes before with that capper. Seems to work just fine. Had no issues.

Abita, red hook, or (if you feel like spending hundreds of dollars) chimay. All have stubby bottles, I like the look of the red hook bottles, plus they are fairly cheap and come filled with delicious beer.

Be careful about re-using some of these bottles. Some are twist-offs. And some breweries, like Summit Brewing and Founders, both use stubbier bottles that do not fit with the typical bottle caps you buy at homebrew stores when used in conjunction with cappers like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/red-baron-emily-capper.html - Before saving, peeling, and cleaning 50+ bottles, I advise that you TEST CAP one bottle before proceeding.

I have not had any troubles with founders thus far and I've bottled in at least a couple of dozen.

Back