McGee Adventures in all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesmcgee

Reaction score
Hello there!

Well... I'm sitting here drinking a few Two Hearted ales... gazing at a box full of malts for my next AG brew... scheduled for tomorrow.. and I figured I'd get a head-start on the update for this round of AG brewing! :fro:??

Expect pictures and a play by play tomorrow, starting around 12pm EST... ahh well... so on to the ingredient list...

malts, single infusion
11 lbs American 2-row pale malt
1 lbs 20L munich malt

hops
1 oz american cascade at 60 min
1 oz american cascade at 15 min

lookin at a rough 7 gallon boil down to 5 gallons

yeast
WLP0001 california ale yeast

a simple recipe but a more refined recipe than my last...

cheers!:tank:

If you like it hoppy I would use a high AA 60 minute hop like Centennial, Magnum, Nugget etc. providing that you have them or just use more of the Cascade. I would dry hop that too with Cascade. If you don't like it too hoppy then disregard this message. Good luck on the brewday.

Yeah well luck has not shined on me today.. I have yet to begin as I am fixing some snags... first my copper tubing for my manifold has a bunch of very light green spots on it and I read somewhere on this site not to use copper tubing with green spots on it... sooo I'm thinking I have to get another piece of copper.... any thoughts?

I am color blind, I just toss mine in the boil... hrmmmm. What if there are green spots INSIDE it... you will never even know, even if the outside is clean.

the green spots are just oxidation.. (statue of liberty style) a little elbow grease and a scotch bright pad should be all you need. otherwise i would say the tubing is fine... pictures?

You could also just throw it in the boik but really i don't think there is much to worry about...

Strike that last post, reverse it! hahah! I scrubbed off the small amount of copper with a copper scouring pad and were ready to go... pics coming soon.

Edit: Yeah, sorry didnt read the posts! Pictures coming soon of the mash tun and grains and others... I'll try and post as I go along... but since Ill be doing a lot of the brewing work I may lag... hold on to your butts here we go!!!

How much bitterness are you going for? With that grain bill and hop schedule you are looking at about 30 ibus with an og of 1.070. For IPAs, especially big ones like that I try to get at least 50 IBUs. I'd use 2 oz cascade @ 60, 1oz @ 15 and dry hop 1-2oz which would make a pretty hoppy IPA.

First wort hop that baby, talk about smooth bitterness and hop aroma. Honestly I FWH most of my beers rather than 60 minute additions, I noticed after doing it the first time that my beers improved dramatically. Try it out, it's nice!

Not quite going for an IPA but i definitely want some bitterness.. just playing with recipes to tweak down a house ale... no pics as of yet, friends camera died.. snapped a few before the boil... ill get those posted asap... boiling as we speak.. got it in 2 pots since my brewpot is only 5 gallons...

Quick Update Edit: Checked the unadjusted gravity and im lookin at 1.040 which is pretty decent for the abv i wanna shoot for... im hoping to have like a 1.07something which would be nice... oh well more boiling! hop additions coming soon.

Back