5-Quarter American Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs WLP-001
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.5 Gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 Days @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 Weeks @ 68
A great American Stout. Some roast, coffee and dark chocolate flavors. Firmly bitter but not overly hoppy. Dry, but with plenty of body left from the dark crystal and flaked barley. The name comes from musical instrument sizes. Normal sizes are 4/4 or "4 Quarter." In the world of tubas, larger instruments are available. My Dry Stout is the 4/4 model, so the bigger American version had to be the 5/4.

5-Quarter Stout

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
13-E Stout, American Stout
Min OG: 1.050 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 35 Max IBU: 75
Min Clr: 30 Max Clr: 48 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.50
Anticipated OG: 1.063 Plato: 15.45
Anticipated SRM: 39.5
Anticipated IBU: 53.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------
Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.054 SG 13.24 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager
Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
72.0 9.00 lbs. Pale Malt (2-row) Northwester America 1.036 3
8.0 1.00 lbs. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2
6.0 0.75 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
4.0 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
4.0 0.50 lbs. Crystal 35L America 1.035 35
4.0 0.50 lbs. Crystal 75L Great Britian 1.034 75
2.0 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt - Light Great Britain 1.030 225
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 47.3 60 min.
0.75 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 6.6 10 min.

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 12.50
Water Qts: 16.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 4.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.28 - Before Additional Infusions
Saccharification Rest Temp : 153 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 45

Total Mash Volume Gal: 5.00 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I doctored a couple bottles of this with 0.8mL of Coconut extract and just won a 2nd Place in the Fruit Beer catagory at the Southern California Regional Championship. :rockin:

As a regular American Stout, the judges wanted more hop flavor and aroma.

Here's the results
http://www.hopheads.com/regional08.htm

Add another award to this beer...

1st place in Foreign Extra/American Stout

and...

2nd Best Of Show
Los Angeles County Fair 2008

:rockin::ban::tank::mug:

Thanks for the recipe Brewsmith! I english-ized it today with 1oz of Galena at 60min 1oz of Fuggles at 30 and 1oz of Fuggles at 10 with Irish Ale yeast.

I've got no idea if it's anything to do with the recipe or the 3 liter starter I pitched but this is absolutely THE most violent fermentation I've ever witnessed! It began fermentation about two hours after pitching...then it blew its airlock about 7hrs into it and needed a blowoff tube!

Thanks again and I'll let you know how hit comes out.....

Sounds good. The flaked barley in there adds head retention and mouthfeel. That's probably not helping the blowoff. :D

I'm going to make this again soon, but I'm going to bump the late hops and the roast just a touch, just to make a slightly bolder statement. The recipe as-is is great, balanced and very drinkable.

I checked on it this morning......It seems the insane blowoff is over, I'll switch back to an airlock this evening.

I did do 1 stupid thing with this recipe....I had read an article in BYO about dry stouts by Jamil the night before and he had mentioned grinding your dark malts to dust in a coffee grinder....sounded good in theory :D I ended up with the WORST sparge experience I've ever had! It wasn't quite stuck but it just did not want to flow...I ended up adding my sparge additions through the MLT manifold to help get it flowing.....maybe not optimal but it seemed to work out.

I just put an airlock on it during lunch......I'm pretty sure fermentation has run it's course.....

I kinda wish I hadn't pitched such a big starter now but the yeast's Best By date was 8/9/08 and Mr. Malty said it was only 10% viable......yeah right :D

Another award update:

2009 22nd Annual Southern California Regional Homebrew Championship

1st Place in American Stout

Damn, that's a pile of awards. Is this all from one batch or did you just age one batch and keep entering it. I love the 5/4 size! I don't know if you ever did drum corp or any marching but my friend's brewery is Box 5! :D

I've done 2 batches of this, the first last year and another this year.

The 5/4 is reference to instrument sizes, more specifically tubas inmy case. Normal size is 4/4, which is my regular dry stout. As far as tubas go there are some 5/4 and 6/4 instruments, mainly for large orchestras, so my bigger American Stout is th 5/4 and my Imperial Stout is 6/4.

The last time I brewed it I was out of Centennial hops so I used a total of 1 oz at 10 minutes with half Nugget and the rest split between Summit and Mt. Hood. It definitely wasn't Centennial, but wasn't off-base either.

That time I brewed it also came out a little drier, so the roast and bitter was a little more pronounced.

Brewsmith, I had no idea there were fellow tuba players on HBT! While looking for an idea for an oak aged stout I'm planning for January, I saw this and thought of the Willson 3050. Little did I know it actually was in reference to tubas. I know it's a bit late, but congrats on the awards! I'll be sure to shamelessly take many lessons from this recipe!

Thanks for the comments. I still brew that beer regularly, especially at competition time. It's getting brewed again in the spring before the National Comp.

And my horn is a Miraphone 186...;)

Back