quick ipa hop schedule check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
Just want to make any changes if needed...

11lbs 2 row
1lb munich
.33 lb c 60
.33 lb c20
.5 lb carapils
.5 lb melanoidin

All cascade hops

.5oz fwh
.5oz 20
1oz 15
2oz 10
3oz 5
3oz f.o.
2oz @160° hopstand
4oz dry hop 10 days

S05 rehydrated and fermented at low end of scale.

Iv never done a hopstand before my plan was to toss in the hops at 160 and let the wort finish cooling.

that's a lot of late hops! i like my ipas bitter so i'd do a 60 min addition and cut out a few ounces of 5 and FO...

Any recommended changes would depend on what your goals are for this beer. You did not say what you wanted so all we can do is nitpick the recipe.

Simplify the grain bill. Remove melanoidin and carapils. Add wheat malt. Increase 2-row. Mash around 150 F. Incorporate some simple sugars if you want it a bit drier. Go with one version of crystal malt, preferably the 20L.

Add another hop or two for variety. Simplify the hop schedule to 60/30/0/DH with a 90 minute boil. Don't FWH it. Add more bittering hops. Split the dryhop into two, 4 day stages (first stage in primary, second stage in secondary). Focus on the dryhop addition for the heaviest representation of your hop bill. Total amount of hops depends on the OG, which you did not mention.

Make a yeast starter with something like WLP090 instead of US-05. Ferment at 64 F for 10 days then free rise to 68 F for the dryhop. Cold crash for 1 day, add gelatin solution, continue cold crashing for 3 more days.

I am aiming for a less bitter intense hop flavor ipa. I have other hops but i wanted to do an all cascade ipa. Do to the low alpha acid in that hop i figured i could put way more hops in and keep the ibu's on the low side. I already had the grain and yeast in house. The point of the c malt is for flavor and sweetness. Recently had a brew with 18% caramel malt and it was amazing, so i upped it. Iv made ipa's with wheat before, not my thing. You are right, i should have been more clear on what i wanted. I will prob up the bittering additions. And dry hop additions as per your advice. Looking into more info on hop stands. Thank you for your time and advice.

That looks a lot like what I do...I am also moving back to a 60 minute addition, I've been upping the mash temp and want a more balanced sweetness with the bitterness. Good luck

Or, just a suggestion is to have your standard 60 minute Bittering and then late hop the hell out of it. A small amount of hops in FW will add a good bit of lasting bitterness. My opinion on the grains for an ipa is just 3 grains. 2-row, c-20, and carapils. It's all about what you wanna do man. At the end of the day you gotta enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back