Wort chiller sanitizing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBeagleBrew

Reaction score
Due to late extract additions, having the ic sanitizing in the boil is a bit of a pita. Will dipping it in star san be ok, or is there something about the copper that requires boiling to kill everything on the surface? Thanks.

Boiling is best, but you know that.
Fill a 5 gallon bucket with your favorite sanitizer and let it sit there while you boil the wort. It will be fine.
There is copper and brass on other fittings people use and it cleans fine.
Make sure and clean it well first and you are good to go.

If you are like me, your primary bucket is full of sanitizer and brewing gear while you are brewing anyway.

I do my late extract additions with 15-20 minutes left in the boil, so I just do the addition, then plop the IC in there once it's back to boil and the hot break subsides.

I used to add it to the boil just prior to the finishing hops. But lately I've been adding it at flame out. It helps to bring down the temp a few degrees, but is still well up in the range where a few seconds will sanitize it. I add my flame out hops after I put the IC in the wort, and let everything steep for 15 to 30 minutes before starting cooling. Adding flame out hops a little below boiling seems to help.

That's good to know I like to add my LME (cheaper) at flameout or as late as possible. Dumped the LME in once with the IC in the pot what a mess and a lesson learned lol. But yeah because I like to add the LME just before it hits the bucke,t the IC in the pot is kind of a nuissance. But if 1 min will sanitize the sucker than I'm game for that. I'm starting to learn how resilient beer really is.

In a dish machine it is 180 prob around 5 sec any lower and you have to use chemicals. In the 3 compartment its is 180 for some sources say 30 sec some say a min.

Due to late extract additions, having the ic sanitizing in the boil is a bit of a pita. Will dipping it in star san be ok, or is there something about the copper that requires boiling to kill everything on the surface? Thanks.

I have StarSan in a spray bottle and just spray my chiller before putting it in the kettle. The kettle is 200+ degrees so just putting the chiller in there when you're ready to cool should be fine too.

Latest posts

Back