Bucket blowoff tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dk21

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm on my second brew and I'm really enjoying making beer! I just made a tripel last night. I had read that folks were fitting blowoff tubes to buckets by putting 1.5" tubing on a 3 piece airlock. How in the world do you get it on the airlock tube? My LHBS had heard of the idea so we tried it and couldn't get it to fit on.

Anyway, he happened to have a 3 piece airlock without a floater and cap so he cut it so only the stem remained. The tubing fit on there just fine and I got it on just in time. Things are pretty violent right now.

I wanted to share a tip that I hadn't come across yet...the owner suggested using a 1 gallon water jug as the container for the end of the tube and guiding the tube down the handle. That way, the tube won't go anywhere. You can actually pick it up by the tube this way. It's working well so far.

Yep, this is a good idea and many do it. I do it when I use a bucket and an aggressive yeast. The larger tube is for a carboy, it fits right down into the neck of the bottle so you don't need the airlock part.

Back