Chili Pepper and Cocoa Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodypop

Reaction score
Has anybody ever tried this or heard of anybody trying it? it just popped into my head as a possible combination.

Any ideas on how I should go about it? What sort of honey should I use?

I'm a newbie. Have my first pyment in secondary :) Now I'm on a roll. Can't seem to stop.

I don't think you'll ever get the cocoa to settle out, I'd recommend using cocoa nibs. I've got a chocolate mead aging right now that used nibs, it's a year old, so I haven't tasted it yet.

As far as honey quality, I typically use less expensive honey for anything that I'm going to use stronger flavoring on, reserving the really good honey for traditional meads.

There is an organic food store I go to. They have a chili pepper and chocolate candy bar that is pretty good.

Chiles and chocolates isn't new, you can find it in all kinds of things: hot chocolate, candy bars, beer, etc. Had a bottle of Clown Shoes Mexican Sombrero yesterday, a mexican style stout with chocolate and peppers in it. Good stuff.

I'll have to look for the nibs. Thanks. I didn't even know they existed.

Yeah, I know it's not a new combo in foods, etc. I've put cocoa powder in a pot of chili before, and it was really good. But I searched for mead recipes containing cocoa and chilis and couldn't find any. I suppose it would be a Cocoa or Chocolate Capsicumel?

I've thought of doing this before, essentially "meadifying" one of my beer recipes (a chocolate cinnamon chipotle stout). Usfbmike is correct...it does take a LONG time for cocoa to settle out (and ultimately, it helps to do some finings) but it can be done, and I've made a straight cocoa mead before with powder successfully. That being said, it takes quite a long time for cocoa flavor to incorporate properly in a mead, and it also requires a little residual sweetness to come out right (otherwise it's just an odd sort of bitterness), so you might need to backsweeten to taste (I left mine at mid-semi sweet, ~ 1.014 after backsweetening).
I'm working on a cocoa bochet right now, and after I see how that one turns out, I may start another cocoa mead with cinnamon and chipotles, +/- caramelized honey vs plain. One of these days I'll try the nibs for comparison...

Back