Rumbullion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luda007

Reaction score
I am wondering what classification rumbullion would fall under?

I started a brown sugar/honey mix to try something new.
I've heard molasses and water makes rumbullion and then is distilled into rum.
I was wondering of brown sugar & honey would be considered a mead?

I am wondering what classification rumbullion would fall under?

I started a brown sugar/honey mix to try something new.
I've heard molasses and water makes rumbullion and then is distilled into rum.
I was wondering of brown sugar & honey would be considered a mead?
I have no idea what you're alluding too, as the term "rumbullion" is rather archaic and whether it went on to be contracted to "rum" or whether it describes another product/material seems to be unclear.

After all, rum itself, is just distilled by products from the cane sugar production or even sugar cane juice itself that has been fermented and then distilled (stored for ageing etc in oak barrels, etc etc etc).

I can't say whether a honey and brown sugar mix would be considered a mead. As the brown sugar would just produce a higher ABV and you may get a small amount of residual flavour, but equally you might get a mead that you can add a small amount of molasses too, to achieve the same result, but with a better depth of honey flavour.

So as far as I can find out, "rumbullion" would probably fall into the "distilled spirits" products, unless you mean something completely different...

Well, its ferment for a month as of today.
I racked it into 2 1 gallon carboys and sampled a little.
Just smelling it I could feel the alcohol burn my nostrils. It didn't have a great taste but it was by no means terrible.
I decided to try and add some spices for a little flavor.
I added 1/2 a vanilla bean split in half.
3 small crystalized ginger chunks
1 all spice
1/2 a cinnamon stick
1.5 lbs of honey

I shook it like crazy and let it sit.
I plan to let it sit until at least January.

Well whatever it might be called.......

It sounds like a good experiment.

I presume your spice addition is per gallon ? As I'd have gone a little higher i.e. a whole vanilla pod, 3 or 4times more ginger, whole cinnamon stick and double the allspice......

In truth though, it depends on whether you just want a hint of flavour, or closer to a "proper" metheglyn......

Honestly, I used six lbs of brown sugar and only a cup of honey. I added some molasses but can't give you the quantity without checking the weight.
I also used regular cooking yeast for this. I know I know...
I'm going to continue to experiment with it and try d-47 next time.
Maybe more honey to start off.

I think I will also add the suggested spice quantities.
I'm a complete noob to any beer/mead/wine making and will take any suggestions I can get!

Honestly, I used six lbs of brown sugar and only a cup of honey. I added some molasses but can't give you the quantity without checking the weight.
I also used regular cooking yeast for this. I know I know...
I'm going to continue to experiment with it and try d-47 next time.
Maybe more honey to start off.

I think I will also add the suggested spice quantities.
I'm a complete noob to any beer/mead/wine making and will take any suggestions I can get!
Nothing wrong with bread yeast, it's not got the tolerance of a wine yeast, but it makes a fine brew of JAO.

D47 ? Not if you're somewhere warm. It's got a very narrow temperature range and will produce fusels if fermented above 70F/21C. It does make some nice meads if you can keep the temperature of the ferment down. Otherwise, K1V-1116 would be a better recommendation.

I don't know the exact temp but it's in my basement in a bathroom we don't use. My thermostat is set to 72 degrees upstairs.

I have a laser/infrared temperature gauge.
I pointed it at all of my carboys yesterday and they ranged from 65-67 degrees.

When I took my OG it was 1.605. I'm assuming I did something wrong... Maybe it was 1.065. I'm going to have to check because I'm thinking my hydrometer doesn't even read that high....
After I racked it I tested again and it was 1.025. As I mentioned above, I could feel my nose hairs burning from the alcohol content.

Definitely recorded something wrong....
I'm assuming it was either 1.165 or 1.065. Guess I won't know unless I try again...... :(

I had to take a sip.
It is definitely sweet!
I added some honey back when I added the spices.
If you have ever made warm apple pie, it is very similar.

Back