Most overrated high priced beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshpooh

Reaction score
I'm not talking about hard to find beers or extremely high priced beers. Just popular beers that aresold at "import price" in most bars that you might think why would anyone pay good money for that beer. Just curious to see what all of you think on this. Here is my list.

1. Heineken (I heard Heineken in Holland was 100% better, but I think what we get here in the states just plain sucks)

2. Corona (don't think it sucks, but it certainly isn't worth the price)

3. Guinness (I like it, but it doesn't hold a candle to most good microbrew stouts, and even other large commercial stouts such as Beamish.)

4. Harp (don't think it sucks its just not that good)

If it is possible to post a pole after the thread has some responses I might post one with the options being anything anyone wrote. Hope to get some responses I am curious as to what you all think on this issue.

joshpooh said:
3. Guinness (I like it, but it doesn't hold a candle to most good microbrew stouts, and even other large commercial stouts such as Beamish.)

:off:Completely different from the stuff in Ireland and again from the stuff I used to drink in Scotland. The American version is way too watery. You should almost be able to chew it down in big gulps!

There's some company that has a "Vintage ale" small bottle for like $8. crap.

um, what's the company that makes Damnation and Salvation? those beers are alright, but their temptation, redemention, blah blah's are just stupid. they age decent beer in oak barrels and add cherrys and champagne and other things to just destroy their beers, then sell them at high prices. all the idiots here rave over them but they're pure $#!^!!

Dude said:
Anything by Dogfish Head?

Second that. . .I like their 90 min IIPA but I don't make that much money. . .not to mention their Midas Touch, that isn't even good beer

Brewsmith said:
For me, Rogue, Avery, and Russian River

yea Rogue is overrated too in my opinion. Don't know why I didn't put it on my list.

dibby33 said:
:off:Completely different from the stuff in Ireland and again from the stuff I used to drink in Scotland. The American version is way too watery. You should almost be able to chew it down in big gulps!

:mad: I respectfully disagree.

Don't get me started on this rant....

;)

Shiner Bock....I like the beer (a lot actually) but at import prices why?? I live 2hrs from the brewery why should I pay import prices on it?

Same with Sam Adams...

greenhornet said:
Shiner Bock....I like the beer (a lot actually) but at import prices why?? I live 2hrs from the brewery why should I pay import prices on it?

Same with Sam Adams...

I raise the BS flag on that at every bar I go too--if they say a beer is "import prices" it damn well better be imported. I noticed they are using the term "premium" more now....

hmm premium...this is true

I've still seen shiner on the "import" list at some places

like I said.....I like the beer just not the price

Yea I don't like how bars refer to any beer more expensive than BMC as imports reguardless of where they are brewed either. I don't know how many times I have tried to convince bartenders on nights when they were running specials on domestics to sell me Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada at the special price. Never any luck.

joshpooh said:
I don't know how many times I have tried to convince bartenders on nights when they were running specials on domestics to sell me Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada at the special price. Never any luck.

Ha thats a good one!.....worth a shot at least

1. Shiner, I hate this stuff!!
2. Sam Adams high price nothing to write home about.
3. Guiness I like it alot, but man is it expensive.

Their tends to be a lot of nonsense talked about guiness. The usual myth is that it tastes better in Dublin, then its good in ireland and its rubbish everywhere else. It isn't, i've drank it all over the place and apart from the odd rubbish pint (probably the pipes haven't been cleaned) they are all pretty much, much of a muchness (tasty but very overrated).
In fact some of the guiness made esp for the japanese and african market are much superior to stuff we get here in ireland.
In fact i'd go so far as to say that while the craic in irish bars is great the beer in general tends to be rubbish. You've basically got guiness, harp lager, tennets lager, bass and smithwicks, with the odd heniken and stella knocking about (v. poor).
As far as choice goes if you compare irish pubs with those in england where they have all sorts of lovely microbrewed cask conditioned guest beers its a non contest.

Pity we couldn't have both under the same roof, good beer and good craic :(

I agree with you 100% delboy. Except I love guinness.. very much. But you are right, its not rubbish in America and the selection in Irish pubs is VERY poor. No micro-brewery choices at all... although I am a big fan of Smithwicks and Guinness. If I lived in Ireland, I'd be pretty upset. But, just visiting once in a while I really don't mind drinking just those two.

Yeah SF, i pretty much just drink smithwicks and bass (both decent ales) and newkie brown in bottles when out and about.
Just think its a shame that a country thats famed for its pub culture has such a paucity of choice.
That said i think the people you are drinking with etc is more important than what you are actually drinking, so im happy drinking commercial stuff when out with friends and leave the microbrew and homebrew to drinking in the house.

Dude said:
I raise the BS flag on that at every bar I go too--if they say a beer is "import prices" it damn well better be imported. I noticed they are using the term "premium" more now....
That seems to work for "the country's oldest brewery", as well - Yuengling (or however you spell it). Barely a quarter notch above BMC. The true shame is that all the great buffalo wings places seem to think it's the pinnacle of beerdom.

How can you bash Yuengling like that???? I am from originally from PA and it is very very popular.

pa-in-utah said:
How can you bash Yuengling like that???? I am from originally from PA and it is very very popular.

I had Yuengling for the first time on Tuesday, I wound up switchin' to Sierra Nevada for several more or the rest the night. Next day went straight to Sierra's then Pauliner Hefe's for rest of the night. Pauliner Hefe's all the way. :ban:

I was paying $7.00 a bottle for Pauliners at the Pittsburg Airport Hyat. Yuenglings were 5.50 each. I figure if I'm going to get raped I'll at least drink something that I really like.

Yuengling wasn't bad just ordinary I guess. Hell it was my first of the day and it really annoyed me that they served it in an icy glass.

:mug:

Yuengling (although not expensive) - had that when I was out in Va. Not impressed. My son likes it though. Trying to remember, it's very watery and kind of sweet isn't it? They forget the hops?

Fat Tire - just plain bad IMO.

Sam Smith Oatmeal stout. I've picked up two bottles over the last year. Both were not very good. If my Porter tasted like that I'd be pissed. maybe old bottles.

desertBrew said:
Sam Smith Oatmeal stout. I've picked up two bottles over the last year. Both were not very good. If my Porter tasted like that I'd be pissed. maybe old bottles.

Last Time I saw them they were in clear bottles. Have they switched to brown?

I don't buy beer in clear bottles and make 2nd thoughts when considering beer in green bottles

Just about any beer that's available in a 30 pack that is priced more than tow bucks a beer at any bar is overrated.

I like my cheap PBR once in awhile ($1 - $1.50). I've seen it passed off as a $5.00 beer and laff my ass off.

All Pilsners are overrated.
Especially Stella and Heineken.

Schlenkerla said:
Last Time I saw them they were in clear bottles. Have they switched to brown?

I don't buy beer in clear bottles and make 2nd thoughts when considering beer in green bottles

Nope still clear. skunkaroonee. Maybe I'll find it on tap someday.

desertBrew said:
Nope still clear. skunkaroonee. Maybe I'll find it on tap someday.

I can't believe people go to great length to make what would otherwise be great quality beer and then bottle it in something what won't preserve the flavor. It totally amazes me.

It might be cheaper if they used saran wrap and a rubber band to cap the bottle. :D

pa-in-utah said:
BMC is also very popular and get bashed constantly around here. Popular doesn't necessarily mean good.

I do kinda like Yuengling, though. It's an American lager, but it's definitely a cut above most of the watery garbage that claims the same style. In my PA hometown, if you say to a bartender, "I'll have a lager," you get a Yuengling draft.

I'm surprised that a couple of people have put rogue down... It is expensive, but not that expensive: buying three of their 22's costs about the same as a six-pack of some other premium beer... It's usually not my first choice either, but I do think that some of their beers are pretty yummy, and I can always use more 22's to put my HB in...

And fat tire? I'll agree that it is far from being a fantastic brew, but (where I am, at least) it costs about the same as bottled budweiser... I don't particularly love fat tire, but it is so much better than bud the two don't even warrant comparison.

GoatFarmersInternational said:
I'm surprised that a couple of people have put rogue down... It is expensive, but not that expensive: buying three of their 22's costs about the same as a six-pack of some other premium beer...
Where I can find it, Rogue 22's are $4.50 a bottle or more. There's only one grocery store that sells Dead Guy for $2 and change, but nothing else from them.

Brewsmith said:
Where I can find it, Rogue 22's are $4.50 a bottle or more. There's only one grocery store that sells Dead Guy for $2 and change, but nothing else from them.

hmmm... Yeah, I wouldn't pay $4.50 for them either (unless I were in a bar, I guess).
I like Dead Guy, but it certainly isn't their best effort. I think I usually see them for around $3.50 or so, sometimes less.

pa-in-utah said:

Yuengling? It's the state party/bar/chuck-emptys-at-stop-signs beer and pretty dang cheap too. It is a step above BMC.

For me, while I dig a bunch of the DFH brews, many fall into that overrated, overhyped, overpriced almost undrinkable category.

Pretty much anything by Jack's Brewing in Fremont, CA. They charge somewhere around $5-6 for a pint of watery, bodiless beer that use high IBUs to hide their mediocrity.

GoatFarmersInternational said:
I'm surprised that a couple of people have put rogue down... It is expensive, but not that expensive: buying three of their 22's costs about the same as a six-pack of some other premium beer... It's usually not my first choice either, but I do think that some of their beers are pretty yummy, and I can always use more 22's to put my HB in...

I think the 22's are a great deal because it gives me the opportunity to try their offerings without having to buy a 6. It saved me in the case of 'Monk Madness' and the 'Chocolate Porter'. Good beers, but not my taste really. And tbh, that is what 22's go for around here in general so I don't see any difference.

I would like to try Victory's doppelbock but @ $30 something a case no, not when I can get Optimator for $24.

Back