Step by Step Guide to AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetuchenBrewerNJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been brewing now for a decent amount of time, and I want to step it up to AG. I've done plenty of reading about it, and it seems do-able. The problem is that it seem too do-able, almost like I'm doing it wrong (or would do it wrong if I did it). Before I jump in and do it, I want to make sure I am going to do it right, with equipment, software, measurements and everything. Does anyone know of a thorough online guide that does a clear step by step for AG? I've read things like homebrewing for dummies, and it goes over it but I'm still not 100%, and I'd also rather not have to read an entire book (I'm in college, I have other things to read). I'm not saying I'm too lazy to read, just not an entire book. A nice, thorough, detailed guide online would be great to compliment all the tips I've read in here.
Thanks guys :mug:

I like the Chris Knight videos on YouTube. They made the process seem less daunting to me before I started.

i'm sure it's as easy as you think it is.

i went thru the same thing before doing my first AG. "there has to be more too it!"

Its not rocket science - roll up your sleeves and get to it! You'll make mistakes (but you'll still make beer - and be damned proud of it). Take good notes and review them later to see what you did well and what you need to fix.

I recently made the jump and have 4 very successful AG batches under my belt. It is as easy as you think - provided you make a game plan of steps and stick to it. Just like cooking/baking I lay out all my measured ingredients, cleaned/sanitized equipment and have a printed set of instructions with times clearly highlighted. I read all the tutorials on this site and watched a few vids on youtube before I pulled the trigger. My first AG I had 80% efficiency!

Ok, maybe I was wrong and it really is that easy! My next batch is going to for a brewing competition with my brother, so I'm going to play it safe and stay with what I know (extract). But after that I think I'll make the jump! Of course, I'm going to check out those youtube videos and that thread first. Thanks for the help and advice!

The hardest part of all-grain brewing is arguing about it on the interwebs ;-)

LOL! That is TRUE!

Seriously, there is a lot you CAN do with AG, but at it's basics it's hardly any more difficult than extract. The biggest difference is the amount of fiddling you do before-hand to get the right amounts of stuff.

It's really probably as easy as you think it is. I know after my first batch I went, "Jeez! I should have done this a long time ago!"

I found this post on Bobby's web-site to be the most detailed discreption, yet simple enough to not make my head hurt. (find the one that says "All Grain Primer")

http://www.suebob.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=7&Itemid=62

I just read it for the first time a few days ago. I have 8 exctract brews under my belt, and I'm working on putting together a rig to get this started. hopefully my first AG will be next week-end. This guide made me feel comfortable to take the first step even though I've read many other tutorials/web-sites. :rockin:

That's hilarious, it really is. Or arguing about it with your brew buddies. After a few batches of AG it really is simple and easy! Just a lot of heating up water, and waiting, lots of waiting!

I went through my first AG batch telling myself, "I'm just going through the motions, and this won't be good". It was good and at the end of the day I thought, "Really, that's it?" AG is not hard. Just do it.
As far as reading. John Palmer's "How to Brew" has exactly what you're looking for. At the beginning of the AG section, it walks you through a simple brew without really explaining how or why.

If you don't want to muck about with too much equipment and processes, check out "brew in a bag" system. You get most of the advantages without some of the disadvantages. You probably have read about a stuck sparge. Look for that under brew in a bag and it doesn't exist. There are a few other things that make is simpler too.

Try deathbrewer's stove top all grain instructions. I brewed my first AG a few months ago following these steps, a Belgian Strong Ale. Came out great.

Here's the link
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

Here's the recipe if anyone's interested.
http://hopville.com/recipe/403328/belgian-specialty-ale-recipes/ag-bsa

I only did a three gallon batch for three reasons. 1, I didn't want to screw up a full batch. 2, I don't have equipment large enough to do a full batch. 3, I have two Coors Light homedraft bottles that I filled. Turned out AWESOME on all accounts!

Back