New bad lot of Nottingham yeast ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the problem, I don't want to paint myself into a corner on brew day. If the Notty is questionable come brew day, I'd have to know before I mash. I could pitch a backup (I have WLP001, WLP008, US004, US05, or Danstar Windsor) but I don't think any of them will give the dry finish I'm after unless I lower my mash temp to 146-148 instead of the planned 152. Or add some corn sugar, but I'd rather not do that. It's an English IPA so the dry finish is pretty important to me... So, I kind of have to know before hand.

Wyeast 1028 is terrific in an English IPA. Attenuative and leaves a minerally dry finish. Love it in my N. English browns, which I prefer a little drier than most. I was going to use 1028 in mine, but the LHBS was out, so I bought bunk Nottingham instead. Then re-pitched with US-05. The beer is quite good for not using entirely English yeast.

Wyeast 1028 is terrific in an English IPA. Attenuative and leaves a minerally dry finish. Love it in my N. English browns, which I prefer a little drier than most. I was going to use 1028 in mine, but the LHBS was out, so I bought bunk Nottingham instead. Then re-pitched with US-05. The beer is quite good for not using entirely English yeast.

Thanks for the heads up! But I gotta tell ya, I don't see much Wyeast in this area. Granted I'm just getting back into brewing. Even 5 years back when I was brewing a lot, White Labs was everywhere, Wyeast - not so much. The LHBS I currently go to has 15-20 different WL strains, maybe 3-4 Wyeast...

Thanks for the heads up! But I gotta tell ya, I don't see much Wyeast in this area. Granted I'm just getting back into brewing. Even 5 years back when I was brewing a lot, White Labs was everywhere, Wyeast - not so much. The LHBS I currently go to has 15-20 different WL strains, maybe 3-4 Wyeast...

White labs "Dry English Ale yeast" WLP 007, I think will give you the dry flavor you are looking for.

White labs "Dry English Ale yeast" WLP 007, I think will give you the dry flavor you are looking for.

Err... for a liquid equivalent to Nottingham why would you not get WLP039.

Thanks Guys! I'm sure either of those strains will work just fine. Though I'm loosely following an English IPA recipe by Jamil Zainasheff from "Brewing Classic Styles" and it calls for WLP013, Wyeast 1028, or Danstar Notty. I'd like to stick with one of those if I have to drive to get more yeast (25-40 miles one way depending on which LHBS). He goes on to say that a less attenuative yeast can be used, but to lower the mash temp accordingly. I have these in the fridge: WLP001, WLP004(might try this), WLP008, US-04, US-05, Danstar Windsor. I have the grainbills for my next 4 batches, so I may put it off for a while. Decisions, decisions.

On a side note, I made a 950ml/1cup DME starter yesterday afternoon and dumped a pack of Notty in. It's been about 14 hours and still nothing, just sitting on the bottom. Also, there was quite a bit of yeast (1tsp) that was stuck in the bottom of the package. This lot# is not acting like the Notty I've used in the past. It's usually chugging along within 6 hours. I have 1 more package of Notty, might make a starter for that one today and see what it does. I know people say wait 72 hrs, but as far as I'm concerned, 24hrs max is my dry yeast comfort zone, especially with a starter - minimal to no yeast reproduction needed.

I thought I only had 2 or 3 packs of this yeast. Yesterday, I counted my stash and found six packets of Notty!

I plan on waiting some more before I try to use them. Hopefully, they will be recalled.

Hmm I am sitting at 48 hrs with no apparent fermentation with OG 1.060. I rehydrated and pitched 2 packs of notty. If the yeast are multiplying do you figure my SG has budged?

Whatya guys figure, repitch another pack of notty, or Safale 04, Safale 05 or Wyeast 1028?

On a side note, I made a 950ml/1cup DME starter yesterday afternoon and dumped a pack of Notty in. It's been about 14 hours and still nothing, just sitting on the bottom. Also, there was quite a bit of yeast (1tsp) that was stuck in the bottom of the package. This lot# is not acting like the Notty I've used in the past. It's usually chugging along within 6 hours. I have 1 more package of Notty, might make a starter for that one today and see what it does. I know people say wait 72 hrs, but as far as I'm concerned, 24hrs max is my dry yeast comfort zone, especially with a starter - minimal to no yeast reproduction needed.

Update: Started to see tiny bubbles @ about 36 hours. It's been about 60 hours now and there seems to be VERY minor surface activity. Yeast is still at the bottom, so no change there. No krausen to speak of, a few SMALL areas of "foam", smell is off - not rancid but a bit sour almost. My sanitation is right on, the other 3 starters I did at the same time have krausened', the yeast have fell out and they smell fine.

I wish Danstar would address this issue. I just can't believe this thread would have made it to 20+ pages if there was not a problem. And this isn't the only forum where it's being talked about. I've always liked Notty, but there's no way I'm going to chance it. I've lost confidence in it and Danstar's quality control...

I have a batch from the lot people are over-reacting ( ;) ) about. Pitch to bubbles in ~6 hours.

I would not call this an over-reaction.

If you have read this post you would know that some yeast from this lot batch will ferment perfectly, some will ferment slower than normal, and some will be dead and will not ferment at all.

Apparently, you were lucky!

Thanks Guys! I'm sure either of those strains will work just fine. Though I'm loosely following an English IPA recipe by Jamil Zainasheff from "Brewing Classic Styles" and it calls for WLP013, Wyeast 1028, or Danstar Notty. I'd like to stick with one of those if I have to drive to get more yeast (25-40 miles one way depending on which LHBS). He goes on to say that a less attenuative yeast can be used, but to lower the mash temp accordingly. I have these in the fridge: WLP001, WLP004(might try this), WLP008, US-04, US-05, Danstar Windsor. I have the grainbills for my next 4 batches, so I may put it off for a while. Decisions, decisions.

WLP039 is the liquid form of Notty.

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm <- from the chart made by Kristen England posted on Jamil's site.

Hmm I am sitting at 48 hrs with no apparent fermentation with OG 1.060. I rehydrated and pitched 2 packs of notty.

Repitched with S-04. Had krausen in 12 hours, major blow off at 24 hours. I followed the manufacturer's recommendation on rehydrating just as I did with the Notty. Just slightly different temperature and spent longer swirling the yeast in my bottle as per instructions.

Conclusion: Inconsistent quality with this batch of Notty. My rehydration technique works fine. I will not be buying any more Notty until they have a fresh batch that has been proven reliable.

interesting your having this problem. I just pitched nottingham into a porter on sunday and had little activity on monday and now today (wednesday) there is no activity.

I have a batch from the lot people are over-reacting ( ;) ) about. Pitch to bubbles in ~6 hours.

Same here, I picked up 7 of this lot/exp from the brew store, used two, have handled it carefully, and have had vigorous fermentation within 8 hours so far.

Any word from the manufacturor? They must be aware of the issues at this time; right?

My hope would be that they would recall this lot batch.

I don't mean this to be rude, honestly, but you say you're new to brewing, but joined this forum in 2008?!!?

Perhaps the OP doesnt brew all that much?

Forrrest, I don't think he is startting rumors. The way I read it was he was simply asking if there was any buddy still having issues or if there is any new ones.

To the OP, I had a packet recently take off slow but it all turned out fine.

RDWHAHB!!

I think we all just need to rehydrate ( to verify health) and stock an extra packet of something else to be safe.

Yep, if you rehydrate @ the 86-92 deg that they ask for, and do not get that light foamy mass on the top within 20 minutes or so, I would consider it junk. pitch another pack, lot number, or US-05 what ever will work. I found some more Notty at another shop ($.75 :rockin:) with a different lot#, so I will have that on hand when I pitch my last pack from the lot# in question. (not much confidence in the last pack after 2 duds prior.) And no it is not my process. just pitched a Danstar Munich and a US-05 on saturday with no problems.

I think we all just need to rehydrate ( to verify health) and stock an extra packet of something else to be safe.

Exactly. I am, frankly, not so happy with S-05 as a replacement. I do like S-04 for some beers but I really like Nottingham. I got a few new packets yesterday and plan on using them but having S-05 on hand if it doesn't smell right or cream up the way I am used to.

I always have a back-up plan for yeast.... never hurts to have some inventory availible.... S-04 and S-05 have been rock solid for me so far....

I have 6 packs of Notty and have never used it. I was hoping the lot would be recalled, but I don't beleive the manufactor cares anymore.

just racked my porter to keg and tasted it and it seems fine. The FG reading was fine too. Maybe the recent notty is just fast and krausins while we sleep?

Exactly. I am, frankly, not so happy with S-05 as a replacement. I do like S-04 for some beers but I really like Nottingham. I got a few new packets yesterday and plan on using them but having S-05 on hand if it doesn't smell right or cream up the way I am used to.

Steve,
If you really like Nottingham, then keep using it. Just "proof" it before you pitch it in your wort. If it doesn't proof good then go to plan B. I personally am keeping a variety of dry yeast on hand so that I will not be caught short if any prove bad. I also really like Notty, when it's good it's really good...

Just pitched Notty in in my latest batch last night at 8:30 pm. Got up this morning at 7:00 am an its already chugging away

I have to admit,
I did the same thing and it was chugging away in less than 12 hours later.

That's two good packs and one bad pack since all this started, same process, same temp.
Go figure

I have to admit,
I did the same thing and it was chugging away in less than 12 hours later.

That's two good packs and one bad pack since all this started, same process, same temp.
Go figure

Just checked at 12;00 noon, it's sunday, bubbling stopped. boy when that stuff is good, its good. It really tore through this batch.

Steve,
If you really like Nottingham, then keep using it. Just "proof" it before you pitch it in your wort. If it doesn't proof good then go to plan B. I personally am keeping a variety of dry yeast on hand so that I will not be caught short if any prove bad. I also really like Notty, when it's good it's really good...

Yes that is what I am doing!

i had the above-average delayed start times for this lot of yeast but the gravity samples have tasted normal so far

Today I had 2 packets of notty that didn't proof. It had a strange smell to it. A odd chemical smell. Northern is helping me with the problem. I proofed and pitched a windsor. They were shipped and stored together.

Today I had 2 packets of notty that didn't proof. It had a strange smell to it. A odd chemical smell. Northern is helping me with the problem. I proofed and pitched a windsor. They were shipped and stored together.

I told my LHBS about it too. I'm glad the bigger stores are finding out. The other Nottingham thread has a poster saying his LHBS had to pull all of this new bad lot # out of their kits and sent them back to Lallemand. Still waiting for them to acknowledge the problem.....

Anyone know how long it took for the manuacturor to recall the last bad batch of Notty?

Was this only after brewers complained and the local brew stores sent their inventory back for analysis by the company?

It seems like a ligit, problem with many inconsistencies in this specific lot; right?

...the wheels move slowly, I guess.

I wonder if anyone has gotten a response from the Danstar people about this issue?

I know that I have not received a reply...

I gave a very detailed email with my process and outcome with no response.

I hope they're not waiting for this lot to work it's way through the gamut.

Did a 10 gal batch of Northern English Brown ale...two six gallon glass carboys. 3 piece airlocks, and anal sanitation. Pitched one packet of Notty in each one, sprinkled right in the wort, no re-hydration, as always. S.G. 1.052. 50 hours later, 1.052. Luckily had some US-04 in the frig, hopefully it will save the day! My Notty is 1080961099V, exp 12-2011 as well. Not a happy customer...

I just had a thought. I wonder how many of those who are reporting increased lag times are using campden tablets to treat their water? I have had no trouble with Notty, but the last brew, the first one I've used campden tablet, did have a longer lag time compared to the others. I don't know...just a thought.

I just had a thought. I wonder how many of those who are reporting increased lag times are using campden tablets to treat their water? I have had no trouble with Notty, but the last brew, the first one I've used campden tablet, did have a longer lag time compared to the others. I don't know...just a thought.

Not me...used 5 2 stabilizer for the mash...very routine brew...treated with O2 for 30 seconds...very routine...wyeast yeast nutrient, irish moss....everything the same as always

Back