Wild Cherry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyo1977

Reaction score
Over the weekend I picked 6.5 lbs of wild black cherries. I used a recipe from a wine making book that i got from a friend for making gallon batches.
It said to use:
3 to 4 lbs of cherries
2 1/4 lbs sugar
7 quarts of water
1/2 tsp petic enzime
yeast nutrients
1/2 tsp acid blend
Montrachet wine yeast.

I used all the berries that i had picked over the weekend. Placed them in a 2 gallon bucket and squashed with my hands to break the skins. I heated the 7 quarts of water to a boil like it stated and added the sugar. I added that to the berries along with the rest of the ingredients except for the yeast. I let i sit for 12+ hours and added the yeast. I used a champaine yeast that I had on hand instead of the Montrachet yeast. I covered the wine with plastic rap to keep any thing out of it and preceeded to punch down the cap every 12 hours. the plastic cap had balloned in between times of punching down.
It Og. was 1.099 when it started.

Ok so the question I have is..
It looks a little thick. Since i used 6lbs of berries can boil another pot of water and sugar and add it to the wine to thin the mix with out harming the wine that is all ready started? This would add another gallon.
thanks for the help.

Have you racked yet? It is possible it would be "thinner" once you got it off the fruit.

But yes, you could add more sugar water.

Latest posts

Back