How to Age Anchor Christmas Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugglesport

Reaction score
I had some of the 2007 Christmas Ale the other night and loved it. How should I go about aging the six pack of 2009 Christmas Ale that I just purchased (I'd like to age it a year or two)? It was in the cooler at the store...should I keep it in the fridge or should I "cellar" it at 70F as I do with my homebrews?

Thanks!

Well yeah, that would be my first choice :)

I'm trying to decide if its better to go warmer or colder as I am not equipped to cellar at proper cellar temps.

Or maybe I should just go ahead and drink it...

I've been "cellaring" some jubelale since last year at room temps (62-78 depending on outside temps) and it's aged nicely. Who's to say how it'd be if it'd been stored "properly".

One of my short term plans is to set up a fermentation/cellaring box (just have to clean my brewing area and get rid of enough crap to make room) - 60 is a great fermentation temp and a decent cellaring temp.

One of my short term plans is to set up a fermentation/cellaring box (just have to clean my brewing area and get rid of enough crap to make room) - 60 is a great fermentation temp and a decent cellaring temp.

Hmm...assuming my wife lets me, I eventually want to buy an old chest freezer and a temp controller and make a fermentation chamber out of it. If/when that happens, I can cellar in there, I guess.

All I can tell you is to not let it go 12 years. My brother-in-law served me some 12-year-old stuff at Thanksgiving, and it was FAR past its prime. Oxidized beyond belief...

Why not turn this into an experiemtn. Put half in the fridge, half at room, taste 2 a year from not, and the rest 2 years from now.

1. In your belly.

2. If you want to keep it around for a while (eg to do vertical tastings, a year or more) the fridge is better. If you want to just see how it ages, do it warm but be aware it will age very fast.

Thanks for all the tips. I have a closet that is on the edge of the north side of the house and isn't well insulated. Its been staying around 60F lately. I've been using it is my beer cellar / ferm. chamber lately. I think I'll keep the Christmas ale in there til it warms up and then move it to the fridge.

Latest posts

Back