Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soxside

Reaction score
I brewed a Milk Chocolate Stout 7 days ago with a starting gravity of 1.072. Using a double yeast pitch of White Labs London Ale 013, the fermentation started aggressively after 12hrs. However, after 48hrs since the yeast was pitched the fermentation slowed to a halt. I'm on the 7th day and the gravity has been 1.026 for two consecutive days, which is .009 higher than expected.

Should I wait it out a few more days or maybe pitch another vial? It's winter here in Chicago so the carboy has been kept on my kitchen table with the house temperature steady at 70-72 degrees.

Never brewed a higher gravity beer like this one so any advice would be helpful.
Thanks,
Dan

I'd just wait a few more days. If gravity hasn't changed and you are planning to rack into a secondary then go ahead and do it (it'll probably finish in the secondary). Otherwise, if it does not finish after 3 more days, just pick up the carboy and give it a quick 180 degree turn or two so it agitates the yeast on the bottom if they somehow went dormant for whatever reason. But then again, you might want to wait for a few other replies. A lot of people greatly disapprove of doing this for one reason or another.

It's finished and IMO there's nothing you can do about it at this point. Next time, take measures to better control your mash temperature. This is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's the reality of the situation. Been there as they say.

Your beer is finished, if this was an all grain batch you may have mashed super high. Regardless, I think the beer will be great. Recently I brewed up an IPA using S-04. OG was 1.065.....I mashed too high due to bad thermometer...ended up with FG of 1.020 and it is without question the best beer I have ever brewed.

To try and get the fermentation going you could heat it up and rouse the yeast as stated above. I also have a little cure all to get gravity down. I always keep some nottimham ale yeast around. Make a little starter and pitch an actively fermenting nottingham starter into it...if there are feremntables left good old notty will take care of it. Just keep it below 70.

Back